Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ah I see. So those actually ended up being Tom Motorsport coil overs as well? The pic in the auction has completley different colors. Be prepared for the sleeves to not fit, my set for a 92-96 did not. A 240sx application is a much safer bet.

Did a little search on ebay and theres tons of 240sx coil over sets available for cheap, many using the GC style of locking collar. Anyways, I know the red and orange Tom ones I got are good quality, I would get them again (but in a 240 application) if I had to buy another set.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
well, they look the same as the ones i got before and have 2.5in innerdiameter springs. guess ill check them out. if they dont fit, ill sell them to a friend with a honda. he'll pay for them plus labor to install so ill get some money out of the deal if they dont work. i think they will though. i got mine from a diff seller so maybe they are the right ones and maybe yours were just mixed up and actually for a diff car or something.
william

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Nope, it says right on the box that they're for 92-96 preludes. Like I said in the article, I think the original set you got was for 92+ preludes including the last gen of them and that the last gen of them had thicker shock tubes. Thats why these cheap coil over kits always come with those rubber donut rings, its to make them fit snug if they're too big.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
dont know. hope they fit. if not ill order a set fot he 240sx and keep the collars and the springs i want and sell the rest.
william

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a question regarding the steering arms and ball joints,

Will normal RA65 ball joints fit into our control arms? That will solve the problem of having to get the steering arms reamed out to fit MA61 ball joints. I'm going to take some measurements tommorow and see if they will fit but just asking you guys first.

EDIT: I've just looked at some RA65 and some ones similiar to MA61's. It seems that RA65 ball joints mount from underneath and MA61 ball joints mount from the top. So it doesn't look like it will work unfortunatly. Back to ringing around some 4x4 shops.

Also what do the cast marks "R8" on the steering arms mean? Becuase i bought a set of RA65 steering arms from a wreckers the other day and they have "R7" on them unlike yours which have "R8"? Might just be a USA-Australia difference thing. But do you know if the lengths are different? If you have any dimensions, that'd be great.

Cheers
Sam

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Did you get them off a celica gts or a gt? The gt ones are just as long as the supra ones. I don't know what the marks mean, but as you can see in the pics the celica gts ones are significantly shorter.

The first thing I tried after realizing the taper size was different was fitting corolla/celica (they're the same) ball joints to the supra arms. They are too skinny but they mount exactly the same way. The way I did it is the only and best way to do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey i was reading on the corolla forums that if you take the steering arms from a non-powersteering corolla and put thoose steering arms on a corolla w/powersteering that it will get more steering angle so i was thinking that are there any celicas with non-powersteering? if so then it may give even more steering.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanx for the info SupraFiend.

I'm pretty sure i have the correct arms as they look the same as those in your photos bar different markings. We have different model names for the RA65's here in Aus. We have ST and XT i'm pretty sure it was the XT, which i i got them off, which is the better of the 2. I'll be taking the supra ones off tommorow if the weathers good and compare. I've also found a 4x4 shop that might be able to drill the correct taper so things look promising.

·
Registered
862 Posts
mk2supradrifter said:
hey i was reading on the corolla forums that if you take the steering arms from a non-powersteering corolla and put thoose steering arms on a corolla w/powersteering that it will get more steering angle so i was thinking that are there any celicas with non-powersteering? if so then it may give even more steering.
yes but more steering angle means slower steering, the point of the shorter arms is to quicken the steering. The non ps celica arms are the same length as ours = slow light steering.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
In the pic your probably looking at I have 15x8 +12 offset Hayashi 5 spokes with a 7mm spacer on the front. I can go out almost another inch in front spaceing without the spacers due to the celica steering arms and the skinny tires. Those are falken Ziex which are about half an inch skinner then other brands in the same size (225/50-15). Don't care for that myself, my old 225s were perfectly square on the rims. On the rear those are 15x8.25 -2 to 1 offset (don't remember the exact measurements) Compomoitives with custom front lips from Kodiak Wheels here in BC. I built these wheels and sold them to a local friend with a mk2 (Shiki on this forum), along with the 245/50-15 Dunlop SP8000s on them. Once I have the money and time, the next project is to rebuld all of my Hayashis with Kodiak lips to get the exact offsets and lippage I want. I should be perfectly flush with all of the flares. Still debating if I will widen the wheels however.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well, I made a few more tweaks and went autoxing again.... success!! I finally got the rear end under control and got some pretty impressive numbers. The car is finally competitive in SCCA DSP I'm happy to say.

I had a pair of 7 inch 500lb springs from my Tom coil over kit so I threw those in. I was able to swap springs in about 25 minutes without removing the struts from the car as I theorized. It went pretty smooth actually, one of the strut nuts wouldn't come loose though so I had to get my modded wrench in there to get it off (a bit of a pita on the car). I'm trying 40ft/lbs now on those nuts, hopefully that will do it (had 50, stock is 30 which loosened up).

The 500 springs raised the car up 3/4 of an inch which was just what I needed to level it out (my rear end was too high before). I'm still at the bottom of my height adjustment range on one sleeve though. The 500s with 200s in the rear (STs) was a pretty good combination on the track, I was really able to lay it on in the corners now without the rearend coming out like usual. Its not really suprising, Don Lew runs 500s up front too. And they are suprisingly streetable, much more then I thought they would be. Just a touch more then what I want on the street however, so I think I'm going to get some 450lb 6 inch springs and then this winter the rear end will get a final pass (strut tower bar, camber mod, adj shocks and maybe coil overs).

·
Registered
579 Posts
so is it recommended pre 92 prelude coilover kit or 240sx?

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
actually, it was 92+ not pre 92.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
KCheng said:
so is it recommended pre 92 prelude coilover kit or 240sx?
No, don't get prelude stuff. 96+ may fit but be a tiny bit loose. 240sx should fit perfectly, as will any coil overs made for the Corolla AE86s. Or of course ones specifically made for the car (theres just nothing cheap out there specifically for it). And keep in mind with applications not meant for the car you may end up having to buy springs separetly.

I've decided to go all out and do rear coil overs as well so I will be ordering a set of these Toms for the 240 application (I'm going to cut up spare mk2 strut casings for the rear perches).

Thanks Billy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm proud to say, thanks to your write-up i've finally installed my RA65 steering arms and struts!

It makes a huge difference with the car! The car is alot more darty, agile and easier to corner. It also has a smaller turning circle, and lots of camber :D I'm very happy with the results and recommend this to everyone! The difference is like night and day. Thanks again SupraFiend :)

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Cool! Glad someone else has finally done it. Did you find a place to get the steering arms bored out locally?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeh, an Engineering place called Ian Weatherheads reamed them out for me, AU$40 for both of them, i was quite happy with the price considering it cost you US$30. Had them done 5 days after i dropped them off. Bit lengthy but he's the only guy here in Hobart and is VERY busy.

While i did the conversion i also put some new rotors & pads on, new brake master cylinder and re-packed the wheel bearings. I love turning into corners now, it just feels like it was made to go around corners all day long :)

41 - 60 of 195 Posts