Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the classic car hobby for many years. First vehicle given to me was a 55 Chevy truck powered then by a Buick engine that my Grandpa bought in the late 50's. My first full time driver was my 81 Supra. Grew up riding in big old Buicks. So this all led to me liking Supras, my 55 and Buicks!

I have several Buicks now. Spent a ton of money on 2 of them. The 55 is covered in my shop awaiting being finished. Spent too much money on it years ago too. Problem with them both was the cost of parts. Problem with buying another one for a project was the cost. I have seen Stage 1 rust bucket GS cars go for $15k. Parts cars can bring $3500. Rivieras are cheaper but they now cost more than ever before. Fortunately the GS cars have dropped in price since the recession started but the prices are still too high IMO.

Let's talk about the Supra hobby. I already owned my 81 so I didn't have to spend a ton on it. The paint job cost the most but was worth it. Covering the seats and wheels/tires were the second most expensive things. I'm sure it wouldn't bring the $$$ I have in it if I sold right now, but the good thing is I will never sale it.
Bought a parts car and paid several hundred dollars for it. I didn't expect much but once I saw it I couldn't tear it apart. Too good of a car. So a couple grand later it's a nice driver Supra.
Recently bought a very nice MK2 for a low price IMO. In similar shape a GS car would have cost me $10k to $15k! This Supra will probably get the same amount of looks from people and I know it will be fun to drive.
I always wanted Buicks to get more respect and bring more $$$. It happened and it passed people like me by. The ones that made these cars legends now can't even afford to own one. Instead collectors and investors have taken over. These people could really care less about an old car in most cases. It just makes them have a bigger ego owning an expensive muscle car.
So, I don't wish the same for our Supras. Right now we can afford them. We can enjoy them without breaking the bank. They attract onlookers and are a blast to drive. Will they run 13's in the quarter stock? No, but spend a little and they will run 12's or better. Will they leave those old muscle cars in the curves? Yes and leave a grin on your face doing it. Don't forget how much more refined they are in an every day driving schedule.
So, next time some of us complain about the cost of something on this website. Just take the time to research what that car/part would have cost for something else. Probably come back here and appreciate these cars a little more. Hell, I have bought 455 Buick heads that cost more than my good looking 1980 Supra!

·
Registered
379 Posts
i agree totally. even though the '79 i just bought cost a lot more than both '79s i had almost 20 years ago combined.

anyway, one example of costs i have noticed is the suspension bushings. to get a complete set of bushings from energy for a mk1 you're looking at about $100. to get a full set of bushings for my xr4ti you're looking at about $500 or more, depending on what brand and quality you're looking for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts