Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stuck on wut suspension to buy for my 82' mkII supra :?:
i want to stick w/ a good name/set-up, while haveing drifting in mind for the mkII. :p
what do you guys suggest :?: :?: :?: :!: :?: :?:

·
Registered
792 Posts
It all depends on just how much you want to spend, what class you'll be running in if you're going for autoX/RR, and what you're willing to live with on the road.
There's not much choice in the matter either. You're stuck with only 3 or 4 companies for "ready made" springs, unless you're going for a custom coilover like SupraBob and some others have done. And as for shocks/struts, general consensus on this would be either KYB or Tokikos.
Give us a little more info on what your plans are and how much you're looking at spending, and we'll try to give you a better idea of what to look at...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i plan on spending about 1 or 2k on suspension.
this car is going to be a daily driver for the most part.
iam paying more attention to my footwork (suspension) then just about anything else since im going to be road racing ( competitive canyon driving) / drifting. i would like to know such options are out there, so i can start small and then gradualy step-up to a better suspension. so to answer your question, im looking to spend around $400-$600 my first time around.
thanks
TIM-

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
TokicoHP's all round first off. Then I would suggest Suspension Technique springs and Addco swaybars. Next on my list would be 15 or 16" rims and lower profile tires. If you dont want to, or cant afford that route, I would stick a set of Kuhmo 225/50-14's on there to increase the "static response and grip" feel of the car. Also, I would dial in about 2.5deg of negative camber. That should make you a cornering fool.

--BillyM

BTW, donot go with the Gas-a-Justs in the rear if its still a daily driver. I do, and it rattles the shit out of me. Then again, I autox every weekend, so I deal with it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
mk2drift said:
i plan on spending about 1 or 2k on suspension.
Umm....No wheels or tires is going to run you about 2 grand. I've spent 6K, but that includes 3000 in wheels and 1200 on brakes.

Nick

·
Registered
828 Posts
BillyM said:
BTW, donot go with the Gas-a-Justs in the rear if its still a daily driver. I do, and it rattles the shit out of me. Then again, I autox every weekend, so I deal with it.
Are the Gas-a-justs in the rear really firm?

·
Registered
83 Posts
i'm no expert but ..adjustable kyb agx all around and coilover kit in front seems nice. rear spring i'm not sure eibach? or somthing, and a bigger swaybar maybe?(someone said the front might be able to fit?? seems unlikely but i'm sure going to measure it up.. ) kyb's are'nt expensive, coilover kits are'nt expensive either..

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Front sway bar is not interchangable w/ rear. Different design.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
...haha, a thread from 3yrs ago... and I just happened to drive the car for the first time a few days ago. Yes they're firm, but I've grown quite used to it now days. I'm going to try gas-a-justs in the rear and celica select-a-ride's in the front at some point. It might be a really good budget daily-driver setup for the occasional autox.

--BillyM

·
Registered
315 Posts
I put in Dobinson springs, Adco sway bars front and rear, Cusco strut bar,Wes's shock bar and KYB gas- a-djusts all around and the car handles very well. Billy is right about getting used to the firm feeling - at first in the city it felt really harsh but now it's not a problem - maybe it's just that the city has filled in some of the pot holes haha

·
Registered
75 Posts
is it worth the $400 for the kyb setup on 935motorsports? im on a pretty tight budget, and its not 1-2 grand... more like 3-5 hundred

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
BillyM said:
...haha, a thread from 3yrs ago... and I just happened to drive the car for the first time a few days ago. Yes they're firm, but I've grown quite used to it now days. I'm going to try gas-a-justs in the rear and celica select-a-ride's in the front at some point. It might be a really good budget daily-driver setup for the occasional autox.

--BillyM
Did you buy the selectarides yet? I ordered 4 of them from Classic garage at the begining of the year, they got lost in the mail, so I got another 4 sent which left them with 1 in stock. The first 4 may show up sometime somewhere this century but its not looking good. I'm less then happy how Classic is handling the loss of the first 4 money wise with me right now too.

Still loving the selectarides though, but I wish they were short stroke. I just don't have enough travel to run at the height I want. I wouldn't run them with rates over 450 however, 350-400 work best with them. They're working great in the wifes corolla now too (same ones).

·
Registered
828 Posts
BillyM said:

--BillyM
Are you referring to the KYB AGXs? If so your saying that your gonna switch over to the gas-a-just in the rear? Are they more firm?

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
select-a-ride is what AGXs were before they were AGXs

BTW, gas-a-justs are mono tube shocks. Pretty much one of the only non super high end line of monotube shocks available. So don't let them get dented at all, even a small ding can blow them. Neat article about them in the last Sport Compact Car Making it Stick.

·
Registered
828 Posts
So are the Gas A just more firm then the AGXs in the rear? Sorry, i'm just learning about suspension and the set ups we can do. Looking at Upgrading my suspension as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Don't know, never used them. The AGXs are adjustable though and the gas-a-adjusts are not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts