Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on what suspension setup I should go up with for my toyota supra? It's a 1982 and I was wondering what setup would be good for auto x. Coilovers, springs and struts? Also what brand is best and feels good? Let me know what you guys think please.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
This depends a lot on what class you want to run in. If you want to stay in the stock class, you are pretty much limited to shocks, brake pads, and a front sway bar. If you move up to street prepared you can do pretty much anything bolt on.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
IMHO the absolute best upgrade you can do for MkII handling is to add a better set of wheels and tires. Unfortunately its also the most expensive upgrade you'll do to the suspension (also will bump you outta stock class). You can get much better performance tire selection on larger diameter wheels these days. I guess a compromise would be to run Hoosier or Kuhmos on the stock wheels. These tires are usually 225/50/14s so if you have 4.30 rear gear you'll end up with some extremely short gearing. As far as a road course goes I wouldn't worry about the suspension as much as I would the brakes. I would completly refurb the brakes with good pads and rotors. MkIIs stock brakes just won't hold up to repeated stops. Going 100+ mph with no brakes is kinda scary :shock:.
I currently run Konis/Eibachs/Addco swaybars with 16x8" wheels and the handling is pretty darn good. I don't think you can go wrong with Koni or Tokico shocks. I think if I did springs again I might go with the ST springs (mainly for a lower height).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice however I really need suspension my shocks and springs are shot, they are really bouncy. I most likely will when I get the money is to get better breaks and or like you said just refurb them. I can't remember the exact tires that are on their right now but their pretty meaty and have some good tread on them. Their pretty new I just don't know what size their are. Anyways if you have any more suggestions for me that would be great I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Stiff shocks/struts will make all the difference in the world. I have raced this entire season on completely blown struts, and it (no pun intended) blows to have scarily unpredictable weight-transfer and horrid wheelchop... You can grab a set of TokicoHP's on ebay right now for a very reasonable price. If you would like to order from a more replutable dealer:

http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/tokico.htm
Scroll to the very bottom, $127.04 for front pair, free shipping.

http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/tokico2.htm
Again, scroll to bottom, $72.16 for rear pair, free shipping.

The price will probably be about the same after you pay for shipping on that ebay set, so it's really up to you. I just ordered a pair of HP's for my front end from that dealer, will tell you guys how everything works out.

Go out some time, and try to brake to the very limit. Hit the pedal hard to set your weigh to the front and push into it until you get some lockup. Let up immediately, and do it again, if one corner in particular seems to be locking up every time, and it seems to be too early, or if you are getting front end pull, you might need to look into brakes. Keep in mind, when you set weight hard to the front, both the rears will have some lockup tendency, but its pretty close to the front lockup threshold.

If you are serious about autoX, and want to stay in stock classification, you cannot beat the performance/price ratio of the Kuhmo's. 225/50/14, with a very hoosier-esque grippiness.

You know, I am having a little trouble thinking what would be a good upgrade suggestion for you, and that is due to one fact. You still havent told us what class you want to run. Pretty much for me, I have to run stock. If I move to anything else, I will end up making excuses like, "well, once I put the kind of money into my car as these guys do". I think it is useless to run a class unless you can max the car out in it, doing every possible mod. Shit, I'm in stock and all Ive been able to afford thusfar is 50,000 mile street tires (where hoosiers are the limit) and some non-adjustable rear shocks, and am just now, 10 events later, getting some front struts...

Stock Costs:
Good struts/shocks: $200-400
Swaybar: I dont personally think it is neccessary, but $280-300
Competetive Tires: $450-700

STS:
I believe is useless for us. Allows pretty much everything the local import scene has. Racing pedals, shiftkits, racing seats, vtec controllers, fitting up to a massive 225 width tires on their 15x5.5" rims. Plus you cant run race tires. I personally will stick with Gstock and kuhmos, instead of trying to take on one of those ACR neons on azenis.

D-Street Prepared:
To max your car in this category, you are looking at alot of money, not to mention VERY fast cars. Someone in the community managed to net a good spot nationally last year I believe, I'm sure they could give you an idea of what it costs.

--BillyM
Viva La Gstock!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Our cars are illegal in STS. You can run STX if your region has it, but you will be up against some fast WRX's on Azenis. In genral around here STX is faster than DSP. I'm attending as many events as possible this year to gather data on wether I am in the right class, and if I can be competitive in that class. I may have to buy an MR2 and race E Stock :roll:

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Well I'll be damned...

Thats what I get for never looking into it...

Thanks for fixing my mistake.

As for being in the right/wrong class... Gstock all the way baby. I think the mk2 has it in it. We will see in upcoming years. Next season I will have my car maxed out for Gstock, Hoosiers, front swaybar, the whole shebang. I will also start running for points and attending large devisional events. The new celicaGT is pretty much dominating, but hopefully I can out-drive some or all of them...

--BillyM
Viva La Gstock!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i am running gstock in my area and the problem i have is with acr neons, there are 2 of them that just tromp my ass...it stinks...but the kuhmo and stock rims should work pretty good..i need to get good shocks and springs....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts