Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here. First I want to buy the addco anti-sway bar kit. From what I understand the front ones would be the only upgrade since the rear are basically stock. Would it be better to buy the front anti-sway bar kit and buy new bushings for the rear. If so which bushings would u guys recommend PST or ENERGY SUSPENSION. THxs

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
Uhhh why isn't the Addco in the back an upgrade? I don't know if you can get urethane bushing for the stock rear bar. I believe the bar diameter is an inbetween rear size, like 17mm or something funky. Also I don't know if you can get a urethane bushing for the stock top shackle type end. The lower part shouldn't be a problem though. I would go with the PSTs if they are available. The polygraphite should theoritically be less squeaky than the urethane energy bushing.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Oh boy... :shock: Don't you just love confusion???? :mad:

Addco's: The rear bar that they offer, IS a bigger upgrade!!!! Also Addco's do include their own urethane sway bar & end link bushings... For at least the front & the rear bar bushings. Not positively sure about the rear end link bushings.

Misc stock rear bar stuff: Stock OE rear bar is 15mm. Energy Suspension only has 16mm or 14mm bushings for the rear. Someone else suggested purchasing the 14mm bushing & enlarging the hole to 15mm (someone explained this in another thread). PST DOES NOT have a polygraphite bushing for the rear, only on the front. The only polygraphite item they have for the rear, is the control arm bushings. For my rear rebuild, I went w/ the PST CAB bushings, and the stock OE Toyota sway bar & end link bushings (both are CLASS E items, as of last year, don't know about now).

Rear bar size confusion.... The last part that you are talking about... If you purchase a rear bar from some of these "other" vendors that sell sway bar upgrades for RA Celica's, THAT is where the problem is!!! A upgraded rear sway bar for the RA Celica is basically the same size as the stock rear OE bar for the MKII Supra. This is NOT the case w/ the Addco's!!! These are ACTUAL upgraded bars for the Supra & not a Celica. HTH.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Can someone tell me what the Diameter of the Front and Rear Addco Sway Bars is in millimeters? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
82Spearco said:
Can someone tell me what the Diameter of the Front and Rear Addco Sway Bars is in millimeters? Thanks.
You'll have to help with the math. The front is 1 1/4 " and the rear is 3/4" if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Sway Bar and Bushing Madness!

OK, I checked on CyberAuto's website and they list the Addco front at 1 1/8" and the rear at 3/4".

I guess what I am trying to determine is this. The Addcos come with Sway bar and end link bushing in urithane (or however you spell it). The Front Bushing Kit from P-S-T also contains these bushings in some kind of polygraphite, which is supposed to not squeak. I just want to make sure that I order the correctly sized bushings from P-S-T. Otherwise, I could save some money, maybe Addco would cut their price if I didn't want their bushings....or maybe I could save money on my Front Bushing Kit from P-S-T if I left out the Sway Bar and End Link bushings. Anyone have a suggestion on this madness!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You know, I've heard a lot about the busings making noise but as far as I know mine haven't made a peep. I've had my bars for years!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Chad,

All depends on what you want to do at this point. Keep the urethane's that came w/ the Addco's (PST will lower the price if you don't purchase the complete front kit), or go w/ the PST sway bar bushings (in which case yes, they will need a exact bar measurement in millimeters).

I would say go ahead & get the PST front bar bushings. 1 less set of bar bushings that you have to worry about sqeaking.... :D At this point, it's down to personal preference.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting. I thought the IRS celica & supra were essentially the same from the firewall back, have never heard of the rear sway bar being a different thickness. I did notice when scrolling through some part #s, can't remember what now, but somehting made me think that the solid axcel and IRS celicas had different front swaybars though. Hmm.

No local manufacturers make an uprated rear swaybar for our cars to my knowledge, only front ones. I haven't been keen to change just the front as I like the way my car handles now; don't want to promote more understeer.

BTW I changed my front swaybar bushings to poly. Susp shop just measured the swaybar diam with calipers and grabbed something the right size, I don't think it was specifically a toyota celica/supra part -Maybee you could do the same with the rears??

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Youre right Chris has it backwards the rear bar is the same between the celica GT-S and the Supra. 3/4" Its the fron one thats different, the celica is quite a bit lighter upo there so an upgraded bar is 1" while that is the stock size for the Supra, and 1 1/8" is the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
One more question. The front Addco is 1 1/8", which is 28.575 millimeters. So would I want a 28 or 29 millimeter bushing? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
When you order the Addco, you have to specify whether you want Urethane or standard rubber bushings. Neither the Urethane nor the rubber bushings squeak. And as Chris mentioned, you will not be able to use factory brackets.

Try not to mix and match sway bars, unless you know you want a specific amount of torsional stiffness from a specific bar. When you get to that point, you won't be asking questions about sway bars.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The reason why I ask the question, is that I am purchasing the Bushing kit from P-S-T, and I get to choose the size sway bar bushings I want. I have heard that the urethane bushing sqeak, if not, then I will see if PST will give me a discount if I don't get the sway bar bushings or end link bushings. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts