Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is black and it has the orginal paint job on it, and it's fading plus being black I have swirls on it. Is there anyway for me to stop the fading and can I get rid of the swirls as well? I have used mothers wax and a sealant but it doesn't last long. Any suggestions would help.

Mike MKII

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
you might want to try getting it power polished, but be aware, you will be removing paint...

also, see a professional detailer, or a painter, either of them should be able to give you some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
the best thing really is to get it repainted with base coat and a clear coat, thats why this paint fades so much when it gets old, no clear. Polishing will shine it up, a wax should hold the shine longer, and you should use a swirl remover polishing compound to remove the swirls. If wax and sealant doesn't hold the shine for very long theres not much you can do but wax it regularly. If your trying to maintain the original paint I wouldn't advise cut polishing the car regularly. My black 86 has had many cut polishes done to it over the years, and the paint is down to the primer now in many spots.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Here in Texas, the sun is hell on paint so I've been there. My redpra had been polished over and over again over the years and still looked very good but you could see that the primer was starting to show through ever so slightly on the top corners of the hatch. Its especially those hard angles and corners of the supra body that can very easily be polished through by a power buffer. I wound up repainting the redpra all over after a minor fenderbender rather than try to match panels and keep them matched. If you decide to try to polish it out, at this point I'd plan a weekend project and do very carefully by hand. The 3M polishes, cleaner, polish, swirl remover and hand glaze are great but expensive. There is already another topic here somewhere about everyone's favorite waxes. If you live in a place like Texas tho, you'll need to plan on regular and frequent wax jobs and park it out of the sun, garage if you can or get a car cover.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Polish it.....But The true fix is simple.......sand it prime it and paint it. Any good painter should be able to match the paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts