Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have been using Castrol Syntec 20W-50 for the summer here in Oklahoma. I am thinking about going to Mobil 1 (10W-30) for the winter. Has anybody seen any leaks from this procedure? What brand and grade oil do you guys use?

1982 Celica Supra
170,000 miles
5-speed

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
well if your already using the synth and arn't getting any leaks I would think that the Mobil-1 would be ok I've herd mostly good things about mobil-1

will

·
Registered
189 Posts
mobil 1 oil is the best. thats why it come's stock on alot of performance type cars now adays. and plus i work at a mobil so you gotta go mobil not castral lol that castral isn't syntethic it's actually a blend i belive mobil 1 is the only 100% syntethic oil out their. so it's great lol. don't use anything but it if your going syntetcic.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
quaker state is superior....

in most cases if your already using synthetic and arent experiencing leaks, then you probably wont have any new ones, but your also dropping a grade, so perhaps there might be a slight leak, but i doubt it.

*wishes he could afford synthetic*

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
How old is your engine? How many miles are on it? If your engine has racked up a lot of miles then I would stick with a good synthetic blend. BTW, Mobil 1 is not the only 100% synthetic on the market. Amsoil was the first 100% synthetic oil introduced to the automotive industry in 1972 and is still 100% synthetic. A very good blend is also available from Amsoil. A bit pricy, but worth the extra dollars if you have a sound engine that isn't heavily worn and/or loaded up with deposits. 8)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Leslie Grover has been using Amsoil for years. I'm still using Castrol GTX 20/50 -- however I'm leaning toward Amsoil more and more.

Les swears it's superior to anything on the market, and that he noticed a huge difference when he started using it too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hear Mobil-1 is the best, but if you've used real or blended oil and have any old deposits that seal up spots then the Mobil-1 will get them out.

It's good because it keeps everything clean and lubricated well. It's bad if you aren't expecting a leak to occur from the old crud seals breaking down.

·
Registered
791 Posts
and to add to the majority already posted, if you're running synth right now with no leaks, you MAY be okay with Mobil 1. Yes, synth oil will remove deposits of dyno crud left back from years gone by. And yes, dyno oil allows rubber seals in your engine to expand over years, while synth will instantly return them back to their original size. This is the largest problem you'll have with leaks! Once a seal has expanded, if you reduce it's size with synth oil, you'll have leaks at each one of them seals.
Since you're using synth blend right now and don't have any leaks, you'll probably be okay. The good news is that if you DO get a leak after switching, go directly to a dyno oil and run that for a few weeks, your seals should swell right back up. Bad news is that you may not be able to go back to a synth blend as your seals may not take well to any more synth...
As for the only 100% synth, there's a ton of brands out there. Redline has a full synth, so does Castrol, Quaker State, and I think Penzoil even has one now. I personally use Royal Purple in my truck and Durango, and both run very well with the grape juice! I used to buy Amsoil, but have found that they are just overpriced, I can get just as good oil-if not better- for a few bucks less....
Just me rambling!
Chris

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
You can buy an additive to add to add to any synthetic to keep all of your rubber seals from contracting. Mobil 1 has a new high milage engine forumla that has this stuff mixed in already, which is why they claim its good for high milage engines.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I went out today and purchased Mobil 10W-40 regular oil, and a Mobil 1 filter. From what I have been reading, oil today is really so advanced that even using non-synthetic is alright. And much cheaper too. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i use 10w-30 synthetic blend supertech oil. my engine runs great. i've had the thing running on that stuff for a year and a half and my lowest cylinder compression is 178, stock 5m-ge never rebuilt. damn walmart brand is pretty good! and a 5 quart jug is like 6 bucks too. i use toyota oem filters or fram x2 guard. she don't burn oil and only an oilpan seal leaks worth anything. i've been thinking about going to a brand name blend but i'm in no hurry.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/amsoil_vs_mobil1.htm

Check out the Amsoil corporate web site at www.amsoil.com Just about anything you want to know about synthetic lubricants is listed there. Oil seals can harden, shrink, and swell. The whole idea is to prevent a seal that is in good condition from deteriorating by protecting the elastomeric material of the seal from the above mentioned hazards.
HTH!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Good synthetic lubricants are like the "Polaner All Fruit" commercial. "You don't dare call it jelly" and "you don't dare call synthetic lubes oil". :lol: 100% synthetic lubes aren't made from petroleum oil basestocks like conventional petroleum based motor oils. All good synthetic lubes start with a 100% synthetic basestock. Amsoil has recently been using PolyAlphaOlefin as part of their formulation in the 10W-30 lubes, apparently with great success. 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts