Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a targa top on a mk2? Ive seen t-tops, those are tight, but I think a targa would be nice.....

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Well...............

Am pretty sure that a Targa Top can be done, but then what do you do about chassis reinforcement??? This is something that you will need to add on underneath the car, so that your Supra doesn't feel like you are driving around in a wet noodle. Ask MKIII & some of the MKIV owners what I'm talking about. The Targa MKIII's & MKIV's do have the chassis reinforcements, but they still feel like a wet noodle w/ the targa removed.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yup, definitely some major engineering involved there if you want to do it right, and the car will never feel as "tight" with parts of the roof removed. A sunroof is almost as good, just live with that IMO. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had one to begin with :( I have nothing, and instead of going through all the work for a sunroof, I thought targa would be cool, but Im not going to now. I have an 81 Cutlass Supreme with t-tops and I love cruising with em off. The Cutlass has way more HP than my Supra, also RWD and I dont notice any "wet noodle"-ness in there. Would I have the same prob. with t-tops in a mk2?

·
Registered
257 Posts
The 81 cutlass has a full frame so no flex there, I would think you would feel the flex in a unibody car like the supra. I had a 78 trans am with t-tops and it felt a little squishy ......or maybe thats cause it was built in detroit :lol:
Brian

·
Registered
36 Posts
when i was shopping around for a supra i came across one with a targa roof and 5m-ge(guy tried telling me it was 6m-ge and that only 7m-ge's came in 3L)
ANYWAYS
Apart from the fact it was only firing on two cylinders(2 spark plugs leads had come off...found this AFTER i test drove it then looked under the hood) i felt no flex or wet noodleness.
But i wouldnt suggest you cutting up your roof to do this. If you want one go get one that came like that from the factory.

BTW I wish mine had a sunroof :(
But i still dont feel like cutting it up...bit too dodgy,even for me

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh, I think chopping it up myself would end up a huge mess and a ruined car, so I would probably find someone who knows how its done, but not any time real soon. Just thought I would get some opinions, seems like targa is not the way to go, but I might just do the t-tops.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of T-tops in my MKI. I don't want to do it myself though, I'm sure it would turn out like complete crap. Well, if I ever win the lottery maybe.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know how much a shop would charge for a decent job?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You might want to hold off on the T-tops too. The mk2 chassis is very weak compared to the mk3 let alone the mk4. You will notice chassis flex when cornering moreso than straight line.

Your best bet might be to have a Ziebart install a spoiler roof - one where the glass slides up and over the roof vs. having to redo the interior to be able to have the glass slide back. Ziebart seems to do decent work. Regional if not national chain.

You should never targa a car that didn't come targa from the factory. You will have to reinforce the windshield too. Seen some "custom" cars with windshields that waved at me as I drove by.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt know it would be that bad, wow. Sunroof wouldnt be that bad, I suppose, but wouldnt cutting a big hole in the middle roof do pretty much the same thing as cutting a hole in the side of the roof? The structure is still being compromised.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Ok... Take a jelly-filled donut...

Punch a hole in it (sunroof), still one piece, still solid.

Cut it in half, not connected, not solid atall...

The only thing being compromised with a custom sunroof is the sheetmetal, you can run structural pieces down the side. Whereas every link is compromised with a targa.

Man you know insomnia is really messing you up when you equate car roofs to jelly donuts, but it seemed to make sense when it first popped in my head...

--BillyM

·
Registered
543 Posts
T-Top MKII

I was thinking of getting a huge piece of metal that was flat and putting it
in the roof area where the t-tops wouldn't be to reinforce it. I'd _LOVE_
to get t-tops, but since I'm gonna go big power, I can't 8-(. Also the MKIII
hardtops flex WAY more than the MKIIs, I have both and every MKIII I
have flexes a lot and my MKIIs don't nearly as much.

I've not driven a MKIV enuff to know tho :cool:.

Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
cyber-punk said:
when i was shopping around for a supra i came across one with a targa roof
Was it a white MK2?

Because the other day I saw a white one with a Targa...but the targa was black! so discusting...looked like a home made job and imo ruined the car completely...

Supra GTR is right...I wouldn't even think about a Targa for this car...there's a reason Toyota didn't make a Targa version of it and given that, I wouldn't attempt it...they aren't made for them...and it's not as easy as cutting the roof off...the actuall body of the car needs to be constructed in such a way that it supports not having a roof...

Grab a milk carton from both ends and twist it...now cut a top section out of it and do the same thing...easier to twist right? :)

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
if you have to have a ttop or targa, then at least put a 6 point roll cage in first. The car might survive it then

1 - 16 of 16 Posts