Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My timing belt is broken, and the engine has been cranked since. how do I find tdc on the #1 cylinder, on the compression stroke when the distributor wont rotate, because I assume, the cams dont rotate, cause of the broken belt, down by the crankshaft.

should it rotate? it doesnt.

tips?

lol my stuffs all over the street... nd its getting dark. its fun tho

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, of course! i gotta get the belt off, its still held in place down below. thanks so much man!

oh this has been covered b4 i know, but fuck it. I cant see the tdc marks on the #2 timing cover, behind the cam gears. cannot find them

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol nah. I found those marks for the cam gears. Still dont know how to find tdc on compression stroke on #1 piston without the belt being on. any ideas?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this help things out some?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=7
Pull the sparkplug on #1 cylinder, insert a long screw driver down the spark plug hole.
Turn the crank with a 19MM socket on the bolt holding the pulley on.
When the screwdriver comes up, you know the cylinder is on TDC.
Double check with the mark on the lower cover.
ok thats sounds good. thanks!

how can I be sure its the compression stroke and not the exhaust though...
wouldnt the marks still be lined up on the cover? if it were exhaust

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Pull the cam tower covers off, line up the holes in the cams with the holes in the cam journals. Then do the screwdriver trick. If you end up 180 out, pull the distributor, turn the engine by hand by the crank pully bolt 180, reinsert distributor.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Belt off .....

1. Set cdrank to TDC.

2. Set cams to correct timimg marks.

3. Install belt.

4. Check distibuter .. if you did #1 and #2 correctly, it will be correct. If not #2 is incorrect.

Crank does NOT care, as long as it's at TDC. CAMS are the key .....

·
Registered
464 Posts
what i would do is get a new timing belt, line up your marks, on the crank, and your cams, put the belt on, instead of the screwdriver trick, use your finger instead and put in in the # 1 spark plug hole, and whenever it blows your finger out you know its on tdc compression, if not, take the belt off, turn the crank 180, and then try again. thats what we did, when i replaced the front main seals. you use your finger instead of the screw driver b/c you know when its on the compression stroke by it blowing your finger out.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
ok thats sounds good. thanks!

how can I be sure its the compression stroke and not the exhaust though...
wouldnt the marks still be lined up on the cover? if it were exhaust
Bottom end does not care as long as the mark on the pulley lines up with the mark on the cover (the #s). It is the cams that decide if it is on the exhaust or compression stroke. Gotta love inline 6's.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a beginners problem. How can I get the crankshaft pulley dampener bolt off without rotating the crankshaft off TDC?

haynes tells me to stick a screwdriver in my flywheel, after taking the cover off.. but wtf does that even mean? assistance!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
cody sometimes to pull the 19mm bolt is a pain in the a$$, if u have a cordless impact gun will help, now dont worry about the TDC u can do it after u have the crank pulley off. your 85 engine is a non interference so no damage in the valves, just do what i said...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I've got a beginners problem. How can I get the crankshaft pulley dampener bolt off without rotating the crankshaft off TDC?

haynes tells me to stick a screwdriver in my flywheel, after taking the cover off.. but wtf does that even mean? assistance!
If you looked around on here, you would have found that a long breaker bar, 19mm socket, remove the EFI fuse, put breaker bar/19mm socket on crank bolt, tap the starter (Ie turn the key real quick), remove the breaker bar/19mm combo, and then remove the crank bolt.

Also why are you worried about TDC before taking the crank pulley/timing cover off?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The correct SSTs to remove the harmonic balancer (crankshaft) bolt are:
SST 09213-70010 (new number 09213-70011, newest number 09213-70011-01) and the flange handle SST 09330-00021. They can be ordered at [email protected] using order form http://toyota.spx.com/pdf/orderform.pdf.

Sometimes the SSTs can be ordered from the stealership (dealership) using the newest number. But are usually really expensive.

Realize that if you never removed that bolt before it is torqued to 239 pounds. And sometimes using the starter method just lifts the car up (guess how I know). Unlike the Shop Manual you have to wedge the SST handle to the passengers side under the car on the ground, get a breaker bar with a 19mm socket and a pipe put the handle of the breaker bar on the driver side under the car on top of a car jack and slowly crank (if you do this from the top and slip you will have a big dent on your fender). You will hear a popping snapping sound, that is the bolt coming loose (it will scare the crap out of you). Unfortunely, most impact guns do not go above 239 pounds.

Pulling the harmonic balancer is another pain in the butt. There are four bolt holes for 8mm X 1.25 for a SST that only uses two (bad design). I came up with a better design. There is also a 5MGE harmonic balancer removal tool that screws into the threads under the bolt and on the harmonic balancer so that you do not use the 8mm bolt holes.

The question comes up is if Lexus/Toyota Harmonic Damper Holder SLY64300 will work (bolt holes line up on harmonic balancer) instead of SST 09213-70010 (new number 09213-70011, newest number 09213-70011-01) to hold the harmonic balancer: http://www.etoolcart.com/lexus-toyota-harmonic-damper-holder-SLY64300.aspx

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you take off the valve covers, turn the crankcase until the camshaft holes align with the cam housing holes, both exhaust and intake. You will know it is compression stroke and not exhaust by the camshaft lobes! The high part of the lobes on the #1 at TDC compression will be up (valves closed) #6 cylinder will also be at TDC, however if you look at the lobes on it they will be down (valves opening) exhaust stroke. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes the finger trick is a good idea but if the intake or exhaust valves are open then it may be hard feeling for air release while cranking.. i always used the 0 degree mark on the lower t-cover

1 - 20 of 21 Posts