Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TECH TIPS ON CALIFONIA SMOG REFFING YOUR 7MGTE MKII.

Ok I’m going to cover
1. Why I decided to go threw this.
2. What I went threw.
3. The dos and don’ts from the mouth of the tech I worked with.

1. So I had been dodging the smog ref for 6 to 8 years. I had heard so many horror stories about the refs that I didn’t wont to even try. As some of you know the rolling exemption on smog in California has bean stopped @ 1975 so my 84 will never become exempted. With this I knew it was just a matter of time till I got busted or it just got to expensive to pay someone off to pass the car.
2. I already knew the car wouldn’t pass in its current state. My HC #ers where to high to pass as a 91 and all my goodies needed to go. The #ers where the ez part I just looked up the smog #ers for a 1991 7MGTE. The what parts had to be changed out was the hard part as I knew some of the parts had to go but not shore of all the parts that had to be changed.
First we will cover the emissions.

1.5mge 15 MPH | HC-MAX 130 | CO- MAX .81 | NO-MAX 1115 |
2.7mgte 15 MPH | HC-MAX 106 | CO- MAX .70 | NO-MAX 762 |

3.5mge 25 MPH | HC-MAX 105 | CO- MAX .61 | NO-MAX 945 |
4.7mgte 25 MPH | HC-MAX 81 | CO- MAX .57 | NO-MAX 701 |

using a wide ban O2 I tuned my car and logged my car on the dyno to make shore my Afs where all good and as such all my afs for all my tests were in the 14.x to 15.0 area. I went to a test only center and paid $20 to do a pre test. I went back 3 times till I got it right. This is what happened
My first trip with one 3” magnaflow cat part #er 94019 my #ers where as follows

1. 15 MPH | HC-meas 130 | CO- meas .25 | NO-meas 264 |
2. 25 MPH | HC-meas 105 | CO- meas .05 | NO-meas 219 |
As you can see as a 5mge I'm fine but as a 7m I’m over on the HC. Now in my mined I knew I needed to add a second cat to pass but after talking to magnaflow and some smog techs I was told different. They all told me that my cat was to big that it wasn’t getting hot enough and that I needed a smaller one. So I got a magnaflow 2.5” 91006 and guess what. That made no difference………NO DIFRENCE. That was trip 2. Now back to what I knew I needed to do but didn’t want to do. I needed to cut up my exhaust to add a second cat. Not wonting to do that and now having friends @ magnaflow I ordered 2 3” 59959s. They are only 8” long so I welded the 2 in the place of my one 16” cat. Hear is a pic

So now with my 2 cats in my #ers are

1. 15 MPH | HC-meas 81 | CO- meas .07 | NO-meas 200 |
2. 25 MPH | HC-meas 44 | CO- meas .02 | NO-meas 76 |
So long story short if your 7m is running perfect but your HC are 2 high add a second cat.
3. Now the what is and isn’t ok to have on the car.
Rule of thumb if its aftermarket and you don’t have a carb cert for it its not ok. IE my arimotive fuel pressure regulator had to come out. Stock one went back in but I drilled out the J tube. My BOV came out stock one back in. Boost controller came out. I left my MAFT and GM censor in but hid the maft and made it look as stock as I could. Pulled my upper hard pipes out and threw a stock 3000 pipe with stock rubber elbows used a piece of emt conduit painted black to go from fender to 3000 pipe.

Intercooler this is a gray area. I left mine in and to my luck I was told “well you installed it in the same manner and same location as the stock one would have been so its ok” SO if your ref is a ass he could say its not stock (i.e. black) it has to come out.

Silicone hoses are a NO NO ! Use black rubber. I didn’t ask Y as the tech was being really cool with me. Luckily for me I had red silicon lines but pulled them out and replaced them with black rubber just cuz I thought it was a good idea.

All egt af safc bla bla bla have to be unplugged or hidden. Make the car look as stock as you can. This is a pic of my motor in passing form.

And when you pass you get a new sticker on your car. If you look under my LJM bar you can see it on the strut housing

Now as all this is dependent on the tech you get. Remember just be cool and fix what he wants. If you’re in the LA area go to the Lancaster ref center that’s the place I went.

All and all it was ezer then I thought it would be. As my relevant mod list is
MAFT with GM mass, Big ass FMIC. Custom upper and lower IC piping with BOV, 550cc injectors, Arimotive 1to1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator, Full 3” exhaust with custom down pipe, Had silicon vac hoses, head work PP Valve job, CT26 60trim,hks boost controller, hks turbo timer, no cat(strate pipe), and Wide ban data logger.

The only things changed where pulled out boost controller from engine bay, wide ban O2 came out, arimotive fpr replace with stock fpr, turned off turbo timer. Pulled upper ic pipes bov, replaces with stock looking pipes bov, replaces vac lines , and added 2 cats.

In the end now that I have my sticker all I will change every 2 years is throw cats in with stock bov, upper piping, and disconnect the boost controller.
I wont even pull the fpr as most my normal smog only stations don’t care about that.

Well I hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
8,166 Posts
I can't believe they let you pass with the non stock downpipe. That was one of the 1st things they looked at on mine. They took about 2 hours on my car checking parts against what Toyota says is supposed to be there. They wanted to fail me because I had the EGR temp sensor for the '90 engine. I tried tell them that was the way its supposed to be. Thankfully their 91 documention showed it.

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
Dave, congrats sir!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Congrats on getting stickered, looks like a bunch of work but it must feel good not having to worry about getting nabbed

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
1. 15 MPH | HC-meas 130 | CO- meas .25 | NO-meas 264 |
2. 25 MPH | HC-meas 105 | CO- meas .05 | NO-meas 219 |
As you can see as a 5mge I'm fine but as a 7m I’m over on the HC. Now in my mined I knew I needed to add a second cat to pass but after talking to magnaflow and some smog techs I was told different. They all told me that my cat was to big that it wasn’t getting hot enough and that I needed a smaller one. So I got a magnaflow 2.5” 91006 and guess what. That made no difference………NO DIFRENCE. That was trip 2. Now back to what I knew I needed to do but didn’t want to do. I needed to cut up my exhaust to add a second cat. Not wonting to do that and now having friends @ magnaflow I ordered 2 3” 59959s. They are only 8” long so I welded the 2 in the place of my one 16” cat. Hear is a pic

So now with my 2 cats in my #ers are

1. 15 MPH | HC-meas 81 | CO- meas .07 | NO-meas 200 |
2. 25 MPH | HC-meas 44 | CO- meas .02 | NO-meas 76 |
So long story short if your 7m is running perfect but your HC are 2 high add a second cat.
Thanks Dave, this is the first time I've seen numbers posted of what a second cat would do.
I'd be curious what a single metal core cat would do (magnaflow is ceramic core), particularly in the case of cars that only have the 12" of space, not 17.5".

Ken

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well when on the phone with the magnifow techs I was told (not sails tech but real tech) that one of the cats i have is the same as a 94019. Thats what i had to start with. So one 59959(metal core cat) is = to one 94019(ceramic core) Or so im told. Side note BOB S had the same problem as me with HC and when he added a second 3" cat his #ers dropped like mine. And i think Jason is in the same boat.

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/599.asp

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Dave, I'm commending you on your idea to use two magnaflow cats in series!
You posted numbers to prove it works.

I'm coming from the experience that the stock MkII (metal core) cat gives you better numbers than any 'high flow' cat.
That might be from the exhaust being forced into a 1.75" in / out cat and the metal core heats up better than say a 3" in / out (ceramic) cat.

Since 1982, the metal core cats have come a long way, and there are a few available that are 3" in / out (for V8s).
The LS400 1UZ uses two 2.5" metal core cats in series for each side - 4 cats!

Ken

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O did i come across as cross? Didnt meen to. I was just trying to make shore i was clear on what i had, have, and how they worked. Metal core is way better @ one taking heat with out braking down and holding heat to get a better burn.
Hence a 8" cat works just as good as a 16" cat. BUT the 59959 is like a $200 cat or $150 on the street or $XX for me. LOL I got a 2 for one deal so to say.

AND YEA im glad i got that out of the way....................................WOOOOOOHOOOOO i got my sticker:dj_smiley :mm_boobie :woohoo:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
O did i come across as cross? Didnt meen to. I was just trying to make shore i was clear on what i had, have, and how they worked. Metal core is way better @ one taking heat with out braking down and holding heat to get a better burn.
Hence a 8" cat works just as good as a 16" cat. BUT the 59959 is like a $200 cat or $150 on the street or $XX for me. LOL I got a 2 for one deal so to say.
Dave, you came up with the MkII 'Kalifornia Edition' cat needed to pass - Congrats!

Also, your numbers with a single ceramic core cat show that setup is right on the 'edge' for smogging a 5mge.

All this info just proves there is more to 'high flow' cats than CFM - you gotta pass LOL.

$50 cat, might not pass
$350 'Kalifornia' cat, will pass in CA.

Can't be cheap if you want your car on the road in a state you have to smog.

Ken

·
Registered
315 Posts
im taking advance clean air classes right now and i have a bunch of information on engine swap guides if u guys like i can scan them and post them up.

as far as the intercoolers i read in my inspection manual that basically intercoolers adn intercooler pipes stock or aftermarket or custom is okay, reason being according to my smog instructor intercooler is to make the car recieve a denser intake charge a denser charge a more complete burn. as far as the bov it has to be stock or appear to be stock ( sotkc lokking recirc).

my instructor has a 66 or somthing of that gen camaro iwth a lt1 in it even though it is expemt from the ca smog he has it 99% smog legal, with a legal check engine light to an evap can in the trunk. all he is missing is the cats but has provisions for it except for one thing he needs to put them on are the heat shields for the cat. so hes runnign catless for the mean time..

well for us 82 guys who have no check engine light, they will require a MIL functional check sicne the 7ms are obd1 adn newer. KOEO light comes on KOER ligt comes off, the light needs to be added so our best bet would be to take the light from a 83+ cluster and swap it into our 82 cluster. careful with cluster swaps due to milage.

also my smog instructor made it clear to me the if i wanted to swap in an 87 7mge into my 82 and or my 85 supra i can get it reffed with the 87 7mGE and later swap in my 87 7m GTE since that motor package was offered int hat same car for that same year, and i will be able to smog it legally.

hopefully that info. will help.
here is a link to some guidlines for engine changes
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/publications/Engine_Change_Guidelines-Jan_1994.htm

titus

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm supprised with all the car people here that you dont have freinds that are smog techs or know some one at the ref station. I happen to have both works quite nicely.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm supprised with all the car people here that you dont have freinds that are smog techs or know some one at the ref station. I happen to have both works quite nicely.
well i agree that it does wrk out quite nicely if you have frineds in all the right places but its a whole other story not if but more like when our friends get caught, i see no way in covering a 10,000$ fine for a @most 250$ behind the scenes smog cert, or possible even enjailment. also the bar and the tree fuckers are getting stricter as we speak on smog laws, thats y motorcycles and deisle now have cats, and the basic stages of cars OBD1 systems. with TJ in the CA smog system its only bound to get worse.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Tuning is key. Passed test only w/ a T4 full turbo kit.

Here are my numbers for a single magnaflow 3" cat, RC 550s, lex, greddy IC, 90 7mgte

15mph HC 70 NO 550
25mph HC 56 NO 117

Congrats on the pass though. I'm surprised they let you through with that setup, but I'm glad they did. It is a real great feeling. Whoever told you that your single cat wasn't getting hot enough obviously did not know what he was talking about as I had a similar setup and did just fine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
That is great to know! I'd always figured that would be the case, but without hard experience I was hesitant to cut 'er up, and so I looked at everything else instead like a damned idiot.

Good timing too, since I'm about to start ordering parts to get mine running again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts