Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The fog light mod seems to have a couple different ways of accomplishing the same goal. I think I've found the best way to do it. Some people like to use the map light's power wire and actually CUT the wire and splice it to the fog light power wire. Not the best option for people who still have their map light and like the fact that it works even if they never use it.

The other issue with using the map light power wire is you can only ever turn the fog lights on when the running lights are on. My way gives you total control whenever the key is switched to on.

The way I did it requires ZERO WIRE CUTTING of the factory harness. It does require soldering though. So if you don't have a soldering iron you might want to go with the cut and splice method. Or you can go buy the tools needed for soldering and do it my way.

Before you start; make sure you read through this entire write up, have the soldering tools, some electrical tape, a phillips head screwdriver, and a small pick tool. Also keep in mind these pictures are of a 1986 MKII Supra. 82-83 Supras may be different, but 84-85 Supras should be the same.

Pull up at the back of the center console first then slide it up and forward to clear the emergency brake lever.

We'll be soldering a jumper wire to the round copper connection closest to the red wire.

Solder a new section of wire between the two switches.

I think some people have done it this way or similar to this way and they complain that their headlights are on even when they are switched off and are in the down position. The reason for this is because they gave power to the fog light switch and didn't remove the original power wire. So they are backfeeding the original power wire and electricity will take the easiest path to ground. You must remove the original power wire's connection to the fog light switch.

This is the car side connector for the fog light switch.

The best part about pushing the female pin out of this connector is that you can put everything back to stock very easily and don't have to solder this connection back together.

Just the fog lights on:

Fogs and running lights:

All lights:

All lights except fog lights:

Hope this helps anyone with fog light mod questions or issues.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Excellent writeup Dave, clear pics with step-by-step instructions :thumbsup:

I referenced Dean's Mk2 fog-light mod: http://www3.sympatico.ca/dean.anderson4/

Others have done writeups on the subject eg. Fog light mod for Dummies/Greg G's (wiring diagrams incl.): http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?51839

Wire colours vary from year to year and some wires may seem kinda small to handle the load IMO. Also it can be difficult finding this simple, but must-do mod, whether not searching correctly or links broken ...it otta be stickied.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Damn, I should have documented when I did this two years ago and get all the credit.

haha, just kidding dude. Nice write up!

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
I've always used tap-in squeeze connectors to get power off either the mirror switch power lead or the wiper switch power lead, they both power up with the key on. But the tap-in connectors require zero soldering or wire cutting. Just remember to remove the original lead to the foglight switch like Tech sez.
Now you need to do the next step, click here to convert the foglights to driving lights.

edit: this thread, click here, has an easier way to get the reflector out of the foglight to turn them into driving lights and also shows how to convert to amber fogs if you'e like to go in that direction.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Happy to hear it is still helping people :cool:
3,344 views and counting, looks like it's helped a lot of people!

I've always used tap-in squeeze connectors to get power off either the mirror switch power lead or the wiper switch power lead, they both power up with the key on.

Now you need to do the next step, click here to convert the foglights to driving lights.
I used quick splices on it as well. That's why it only took a few minutes after seeing the pictures of which wire goes where and what pin to remove. I'm happy to solder when needed but sometimes splices are just more practical. I will almost never use butt/crimp connectors though.

I will be doing the refractor removal soon, till then it's already looking pretty good!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
has anyone figured out how to do this so it is "legal", ie., the fogs work with parking lights as well as with low beams, but go off when the high beams are selected? I added a fog light kit to my Explorer many years ago, and set it up to work that way, but I can't remember how I did it.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Can the stock wiring handle the fogs/highs at the same time? It's only illegal if you get caught, and if i'm in the middle of nowhere i'd like to get as much advance warning of deer as i can...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts