Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the stock twins while the engine was in a Mk2? I am just curious because it is very difficult on the 1jz in the Mk3 and not real easy with the 2jz in the Mk4. I am trying to decide whether I want to get it running with the stock twins or just go single before I drop the engine. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would pull the engine on anything with a TT JZ engine before I tried to get them off in car. All I know is that its a challenge to do it out of the car and I dont want to imagine doing them in car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes, I just did it and it is a B!+<h to say the least. Well its not that bad if you do it in a certain order. A word of caution for you, they have to be pulled as a unit and the front ex manifold stays on the motor and the rear manifold comes off the motor. There is a web page of a guy with a SC that did a doco on it I didn't follow it to a T and had problems but stopped went and re-read the doco and it was fairly simply. Just a little tight getting to some of the bolt's. Its also going to depend how far back the engine sits in the bay.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have pulled my share of JZ stock twins and know it aint easy. I have never done it in a Mk2 so I was curious if there were any additional obstacles to overcome. Having the stock twins on could deter me from dropping money on a single just knowing what a bear it will be to pull them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah its a pain to pull the twins off while its in the mk2... i test fitted the motor and while it was still in i thought id pull them off to see just how easy it would be and to fit aftermarket dump pipe.... it really is a pain to do... yes it can be done but would be so much easier with motor out of the car.

because they have to be pulled out together at the same time the only problems i had was the exhaust (new dump pipe) hitting the steering rack and turbos knocking on the brake master cyl when trying to fit it all up... but im in a RHD so you guys wouldnt get that problem over there

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I'd say pull it up and out.. You know from experience on Mk.III's and Mk.IV's it's a pita..

What single are you thinking about going to?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts