Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody made or bought a "test pipe" (or straight through replacement for a catalytic converter) for a MKII. I would like to remove my cat, but make it an easy replacement in case Connecticut gets the emissions testing back on-line anytime soon.

·
Registered
174 Posts
this is what I did

I had aquired a discarded cat from my friends 84 supra, and inserted a pole into one end and hit it with a sledgehammer untill all the ceramics inside had seperated and fallen out, I then replaced my cat with this now free flowing empty cat and bolted it up with some new bolts and used never cease compound on them so I could bolt up my old cat if I ever needed to. I probably will never need to but the main reason I did this is I didnt require any cutting (except for the 15 year old bolts)of my exaust system.

you'll probably need new gaskets to prevent it from leaking upon reassembly, I did.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have one, made from stainless pipe. $30 + shipping. To fit a 84 w/17+9/16" length. There were different length cats on different cars. I decided to stick a resonator in it's place as the brullen was too loud for my tastes. It has just a few miles on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just took my old cat cut it open, cleaned it out, then put 2.5 inch pipe in there, welded it all back together. So when I get my inspection it looks like a cat in the exhaust. In ohio we have a loop hole in testing. If you fail just take it to a mechanic, and test again. If you fail again after spending more than $250.oo you get an exemption. Well lucky enough my friend is a certified tech

1 - 4 of 4 Posts