Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i test the 84 tps to make sure its working? the tsrm explains how to test the newer style, but i have the rectangular plug with 3 connectors. ive also found by searching that you can jump out the test connector and check to see if the CE blinks with the ignition on, but i couldnt verify if it worked on the 84 model year, and not just the 85+. what connectors should i be measuring resistance across(if thats even possible on the 84)? thanks.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
84 tps adjustment / adjusting 84 tps.

Insert a thickness guage (0.75mm or 0.0295") between the throttle stop screw and lever, and connect the ohmmeter to terminals IDL and E1.
Gradually turn the sensor counterclockwise until the ohmmeter deflects, and secure the sensor with two screws.
Using a thickness guage, recheck the continuity between terminals IDL and E1.

Forgive the cheap quality of pictures:

This is how you check engine codes:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/a/rae125/checkeng.html

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Checking that the TPS provides correct reading at 71 / 19 degrees. I made a full size template (see link in my sigature) you can print on card stock and cut out. It should work for setting any square TPS. You'll need the three feeler gauges (.60, .75, .95 mm) and a multimeter to properly test and adjust the TPS. I recommend getting some insulated alligator clip leads to clamp on to the terminals of the TPS. Insulated (even with some electrical tape) because the leads will twist around as you move the throttle plate into various positions. This will take all of your fingers on both hands to hold all the pieces in alignment when using the template and meter.

·
Registered
598 Posts
thanks for all the great info on the tps. was looking for the pinout for the 82-84 as the tsrm has every year but except 82-84 PINOUT
having problems with with my A/T TB and im switching to a M/T TB its the difference of 3 wires to 6. and alot more bull shit...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts