Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to test a compressor without the car running? A friend of mine had a test run on his car to make sure it was working before they recharged the system, but the car had to be running... I think.

I am having a 6m put into my car next week and they won't charge any labor to put on other parts if I provide said parts and I want to be positive the compressor is shot before going to the expense of another one.

Any info is very appreciated!!

Thanks,
Fray

·
Registered
991 Posts
Fray said:
Is there a way to test a compressor without the car running? A friend of mine had a test run on his car to make sure it was working before they recharged the system, but the car had to be running... I think.

I am having a 6m put into my car next week and they won't charge any labor to put on other parts if I provide said parts and I want to be positive the compressor is shot before going to the expense of another one.

Any info is very appreciated!!

Thanks,
Fray
Fray,

Yes you can test the compressor without it running. It is easisest if you have the compressor out of the car to do so. IMO. If you need to test it in the car, first, make sure the system is fully DISCHARGED then remove the low and high pressure lines at the manifold where they go into the compressor. remove the AC belt so that the clutch can spin freely. Put fingers over the high and low pressure ports on the compressor and turn the clutch. You should feel suction on your fingers. No suction, the compressor is toast. The more suction you get, the stronger the compressor is. This is the only way I know to test the unit without the system running. Not sure if you can test the clutch without the system running or not, someone else may be able to help on that one.

You should be able to get a rebuilt compressor in Texas for around 180.00 maybe less. Or you can go to a u-pull it place and test the compressors and get a used unit way cheaper if money is an issue.

Make sure you replace the receiver dryer at the same time. Especially if you get a rebuilt compressor. The compressor warrently will not be any good unless you can show that you also bought and replaced the receiver/dryer at the same time.

If you system has been down for quite a while, I would also recommend that you replace all the schrader valves in the system (4 or 5 of them) at the same time. They are just a couple of bucks and can prevent a lot of frustration. Just make sure you get AC valves and not tire valves as they won't hold up to the refrigerant.

HTH

Leslie

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
You might want to also pressure test the compressor before you install it to be sure that the shaft seal and case O-rings are in good shape. Any reputable A/C place should be able to do a pressure test on the compressor for a nominal fee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts