Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m testing the headlight retractor relay on my 85 Supra. I pulled it off the passenger fenderwell, used my trusty multimeter and got the following: Tested continuity between pins 1-2 and 1-3. Continuity was great-0 ohms. I tested continuity between pins 4-5 and 5-6 and I got 5 ohms. That was about half the needle travel of the 1-2; 1-3 test. Does that mean continuity between 4-5 and 4-6 is bad and so the relay is bad? I thought so but then I bought a used relay and it tested exactly the same. The headlights acted the same with both relays. Passenger headlight goes up and down. Driver headlight goes up but not down. Both lights work. I’m not sure whether I have two bad relays or two good ones?

I tested the passenger retractor motor by powering it straight from the battery. Goes up and down like a champ.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m testing the headlight retractor relay on my 85 Supra. I pulled it off the passenger fenderwell, used my trusty multimeter and got the following: Tested continuity between pins 1-2 and 1-3. Continuity was great-0 ohms. I tested continuity between pins 4-5 and 5-6 and I got 5 ohms. That was about half the needle travel of the 1-2; 1-3 test. Does that mean continuity between 4-5 and 4-6 is bad and so the relay is bad? I thought so but then I bought a used relay and it tested exactly the same. The headlights acted the same with both relays. Passenger headlight goes up and down. Driver headlight goes up but not down. Both lights work. I’m not sure whether I have two bad relays or two good ones?

I tested the passenger retractor motor by powering it straight from the battery. Goes up and down like a champ.
Did you check the fuse, There are two 15 amp fuses for each headlight retractor one for up and one for down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s what my fuse box looks like. There are only two fuses for the headlights, RH and LH. I think those fuses are for the actual lamps. I checked both fuses anyways and both look good. I switched them with no change. The Left side headlight still won’t go down.

·
Registered
171 Posts
4 fuses only in 82 and 83, sorry for the year mix up. You said in first post passenger side wired to battery works.
What about drivers side powered to battery does it only go up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries. Thanks for the info.
I tested both motors separately by powering each straight from the battery. Both worked like champs.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Check the fusible link from the battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you do the diode continuity test of motor
Thanks for the input. I’m doing it today after I find some tiny alligator clips. . The manual shows two multimeters being used at the same time for the 4-3 and 4-5 prongs. Am I reading that right or can I test 4-3 and 4-5 separately with the same meter?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tested and I am not getting continuity. I guess that means the diode is bad. Is the diode fixable?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I’m no electrician so I bought a used replacement motor. I installed it last night and after a little adjusting I got the light to stop and start in the full up and down position. 😃

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
A diode is not fixable, but replaceable! There is a bar on one side, and it's important that the replacement one is installed tbe same way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts