Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I think I got most of this forum thing figured out, I started here two months ago seeking help to get my 84 back on the road after I was horrified at the thought of selling or junking it after almost 20 years. I've posted out of turn in the wrong place a few times, figured out to search first, etc, gone through SupraForums.com and MK2 on Yahoo and in the end naturally gravitated to this forum and today finished reading every post in every thread here at CS.com so far. I feel bad that the "Help fund the site" one was one of the last ones I got to and that was where a wealth of info was, who is in charge, who you guys are, and a more personal feeling of love for these cars that I had no idea was out there.

I now have a 6m on the way from Japan to be installed next week. I plan to get my hands dirty and figure out some of this restoration part for myself, with the help of the FAQs so far and hope to get this car in better condition (rust wise).

Now here's where you'll laugh. Looks like I might be one of the very few females involved here and I know almost nothing about mechanical things. I have definitely learned alot and want to keep learning so I'm warning you I'll be around, I can't help it, I love this car, and I even want more of them, but one thing at a time.

Again, I just want to thank everyone involved in this for the inspiration and motivation I have gotten from you.

Oh and:
-I would love to donate, should I wait til next year?
-I would love a set of the stickers (I already PMed Malloy for these)
-I would love a calender when they're ready, I work in the graphic arts industry and have all the Killer Macintoshes anyone could want with all the software to go with them and I am available if anyone needs a hand with the graphics projects. We also have a vinyl cutter and wide format printers at the shop, etc,etc...
-I would love a coffee cup, one vice I havn't been able to give up.
-I would love a t-shirt.
-Anything else that says Celica Supra on it, I'll take. My cohortsthat know me well enought to not get socked have started calling me SupraSlut which makes me laugh, but I couldn't use that for my user name, it might misrepresent this girl in the back half of her 30s...
15 years ago maybe I could have paid forall these items by auditioning to be the thong model, I guess I'll give cash instead!

Thanks again.
Fray (I'm getting around to my avatar...)

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Glad you found the group. No you are not the only woman among the group and I'm sure our ladies will introduce themselves to you in time. I however am just glad to hear from another Texas resident because for lo these many years I've felt very alone in this Supra thing amongst all these pickup-drivin, country-music-lovin, buy-american swearin rednecks. Just within the past few months, especially since the forum started, there've been a few new names posting from Texas so perhaps there'll be enough of us before long to have a mk2 mini-meet. If ever in Fort Worth, you are welcome to stop by the shop to have a look-see and chat. And that goes for any other mk2 owners in Texas or even just passing through.

Phil D.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likewise. I really only drive north to Colorado and bypass Ft Worth altogether going the 285 route, but who knows, when this car is back on the road, I might decide to roadtrip a little more...
And if you're ever south in the hill country here, let me know.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Welcome to the group :) Its not uncommon when the desire for more than one supra develops. We call it MSS (Mulitple Supra Syndrome) And I have been trying to catch it for awhile :lol:
I agree T-shirts and coffee cups would be nice to have...perhaps a fund raising idea for the site? I am just learning all this car stuff too and I am also in the latter part of my thirtys so if I can do it you can do it :)
Have a great day

-Wil

D

·
0 Posts
I don't know what it is about these Supra, but they just grow on you the more you drive them the more you love them. This forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't miss a day reading, its amasing how much you can learn about our cars.
Have a question about torquing the crankpulley?? I've got about a 100# trsm calls for 168. With out air t/wrench, how do you get the right amount??
Thanks dick B. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wellcome 2 the forums.
I would suggest u buy a haynes toyota celica supra manual they run about 15 buck at a local auto parts, its a major help.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
HCogeHC said:
Wellcome 2 the forums.
I would suggest u buy a haynes toyota celica supra manual they run about 15 buck at a local auto parts, its a major help.
Also watch Ebay for a Toyota service and repair manual (TSRM) for your year. Invaluable
-Wil

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fray said:
Now here's where you'll laugh. Looks like I might be one of the very few females involved here and I know almost nothing about mechanical things. I have definitely learned alot and want to keep learning so I'm warning you I'll be around, I can't help it, I love this car, and I even want more of them, but one thing at a time.
Welcome to the forum Fray.
and don't worry about not knowing much mechanical stuff, not everyone here is good with that stuff, like me, lol. You just gotta jump in and try things. Like right now since my car wasn't running I started to take things off to clean them and get more familiar with doing those types of things while getting the engine bay to look nicer.

Fray said:
-Anything else that says Celica Supra on it, I'll take. My cohortsthat know me well enought to not get socked have started calling me SupraSlut which makes me laugh, but I couldn't use that for my user name, it might misrepresent this girl in the back half of her 30s...
15 years ago maybe I could have paid forall these items by auditioning to be the thong model, I guess I'll give cash instead!
Fray the CelicaSupra thong model? I could donate for that! JK :D

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Fray - Welcome to the forum!! You seem to have a good sense of humor, which is necessary here !! :) This place is an invaluable source of info on these cars. Chris Eng seems to know just about everything about whether parts are still available from the dealers, and he's the (un?)official historian. Lots of people are up on the mechanical stuff (including Jamie, who seems to be one of the most mechanically savvy females I've ever heard from). As I recall, she has a 6M in one of hers.....!

I've had the bug for quite awhile myself. I bought my fiirst one (the '84) in '87 - and just came down with Multiple Supra Syndrome this year after searching around for the second one for over a year.

Looking forward to seeing you here on the forum.

-- Bob --

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
LOL!!!!!! :lol: This is quite amusing...

Thanks for finding our group Fray!!! You'll learn quite a bit here.

As Bob Sully just mentioned above, I'm usually making the occasional trip to my favorite Toyota dealer to order parts for my 85 Redpra & sometimes I'll inquire about a part that someone else was asking about. I usually try & get the price on the part (before any discounts) and check on availability if it's not a very common part, esp interior parts.

And since I acquired a 81 MKI last year (14 years later, after owning a 80 MKI), I'm doing allot more checking on parts availability for that car.

And yes, I'm now another member who has MSS, along w/ MGSS (Multi Generation Supra Syndrome), along w/ several others here that are in the same boat.

And yes, Jamie Bergen (aka Ghostrider) is one of the most saavy female owners that we have here on the Forums (and up in the PacNW), despite the fact that she give's me grief about "certain rice" items that are on my car (like the Brullen Exhaust sticker that is on my rear bumper), along w/ the occasional "reminder" that her 6M 84 is much faster than my 85.... :D :shock: And she does have a extensive mechanical & racing backround (how many of you knew that she was a former MOPAR drag racer many years ago??) So yes, we do have a very diverse group here & I'm very glad to be a part of it :multi: :shocked!:

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Hi Fray,

I am glad that you are getting settled in here @cs.com :) No need to donate this year, everyone was kind and I raised enough $ to cover this years bills. I did not want the responsibility of holding the $ till next year.

I did not get the PM re. stickers. Did you change your user name by chance? You can PM me again, I have a few stickers here.

Thanks for the calendar reminder. Time to get that rolling. I am moving out my place and into a new one this weekend...then going to settlement on my house next week...then to Ohio Super Summit that weekend...then I may have some time to breathe and get the calendar together ;)

Fray said:
OK, I think I got most of this forum thing figured out...
-I would love to donate, should I wait til next year?
-I would love a set of the stickers (I already PMed Malloy for these)
-I would love a calender when they're ready, I work in the graphic arts industry and have all the Killer Macintoshes anyone could want with all the software to go with them and I am available if anyone needs a hand with the graphics projects. We also have a vinyl cutter and wide format printers at the shop, etc,etc...
-I would love a coffee cup, one vice I havn't been able to give up.
-I would love a t-shirt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome. I will keep everyone posted on the progress of my car as it happens, I'm so excited I can hardly sit still. I am beginning to compile the list of stuff I want to accomplish meanwhile.

Thanks again
Fray

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dohc82 said:
HCogeHC said:
Wellcome 2 the forums.
Also watch Ebay for a Toyota service and repair manual (TSRM) for your year. Invaluable
-Wil
I'm still working how you guys get the quotes nice and neat like that, must be a setting, I'll find it someday. Bear with me.

I already have the Haynes and have found some stuff on the web like:

http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/mk2/mk2_pmtn.html
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/in/IN_001.html
http://www.killerworld.com/~james/supra/index.html

I have not had time to print these out (gotta have a hard copy!) and flip through them, but I am curious, are they all different versions of the TSRM? One looks like it's scanned straight from the pages themselves.

Just curious, I will still read them.

Thanks, Fray

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, I DID figure it out! Now if only I knew how I did it, Heh....

Greetings from Austin
Fray

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad to see you getting the hang of the forums. It's not too hard. Just gotta mess around with things and you'll figure it out. Took me a long time to figure out how to make links till I saw there were buttons for it, lol.

I think both of those TSRM's are both scanned in. Not sure though. Havn't used them really. I need to get one though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts