Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a guide to relocate your fuel filter on a 5mge or 6mge. If you've ever had the joy of replacing the fuel filter while the motor is in car, you know how much of a chore it can be. With a bunch of extensions and one person below and one above it can go ok, but its still too much trouble and its stock position adds a lot of clutter to one of the most cluttered and inaccessible areas of the motor. My mod relocates the fuel filter to the body just below the brake master and can be done with no mods to the car itself or any special parts. You can change the filter in 5 minutes by yourself with it in the new location. All that is needed is some high pressure fuel line (most fuel line is 100psi safe, make sure the stuff you use is something like that) and a hard line flaring kit and line cutter (or hack saw or cut off wheel). Oh, and this is something you'll want to do while the motor is out of the car unless your really limber. ;)

Check out the pictures first here...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/fuel_filter_relocation_mod

So, basically you take the stock hard line that runs from the fuel rail to the fuel filter, and cut the ends off and toss the center section. Bend them a little as shown in the pics (and doing your own trail and error fitting), then use the flaring tool to put a lip on them so that you can clamp a fuel hose on and it won't slip off. Be sure to file any sharp edges off as you don’t want anything to wear a hole in your new fuel line. I've been running with this setup for over 6000kms and 2 months now and have had 0 problems with it since the original installation. An alternative way to do this mod, and a more factory like way, would be to get another one of the fuel lines that attaches to the bottom of the fuel filter and runs to the hard line that runs to the gas tank. This line will attach just fine to the top of the fuel filter as well, then you would get a spare line nut/fitting and slip it onto the cut down hardline at the rail before you flare it. This way the stock lower line would thread on, on both ends and there would be no clamps needed. I would have done this if I had a spare fitting and spare lower fuel hose around but I didn’t and I wasn’t worried about the setup I went with being a safety problem.

As for the filter itself, you use the bracket that was holding it to the block, and use a single 10mm bolt to attach it to the strut tower through an existing unused threaded hole. It would be nice to have 2 bolts on this bracket but it just has to hold it in place. Take the bolt out before you start wrenching on the filter next time you change it. The filters have nuts built onto them so you can use a wrench to hold the filter still while you crank on the hardline side.

That’s about it. The pictures are pretty self explanatory, but ask away if you have any questions. Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you mess up and you spring a fuel leak and your car burns to the ground. This is a safe mod if you use your brain and take your time. Go for the alternative method using the oem fuel line I suggested above if your really worried about springing a leak.

-Seamus

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Very nice,but ...... I think your all a bunch of wimps ;) Fuel filter isn't that tough,if you own the proper tools :) IE..... 3/8's air gun,17mm wobbly socket,and several extensions for the lines.1/4 drive ratchet for the bracket ....all that = 30 minutes max. to change one out "drinking beer of course " ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thats awesome, I assume it makes it worlds easier to replace the fuel filter?

To me it seems not having to line up that long hardline with the filter would be the biggest benefit from doing this, you get a flexible hose to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theres many things that make it difficult to change in the stock location, mostly just accessablity, but lining up the hard line can be a pita too. If its been changed before or at least within the last 5 years or so its often not that bad but I remember having a hell of a time with the first one I ever did on my 82, it took hours. I've done them since with the right tools, but its still to harder then it should be. This mod also reduces the clutter in that area and makes it easier to get at the other stuff around there.

You shouldn't need knuckles and an impact gun to change a fuel filter, and it shouldn't take as long as half an hour either ;). mk3s aren't much better, they have them above the diffs, bit of a pain to change those too. Toyota finally got it right with the mk4 and put it on the firewall just a little lower then where I put mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts