Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of pages on the net and most of them say that putting the 7mgte into a mk2 is a bit of work. Not extremely hard, but not easy either. From what I read, you have to move the oil filter and cut the oil pan, etc. Has anyone here actually done this, and if you have, could you give me some insight? I have an 82 with 5mge, right now it has around 145k on it, and things are starting to go. How much would this ENTIRE project cost, and about how long to do it? I have a 2-car garage, and some tools, but not an extensive set. Also, I know enough to keep me running, but have never actually swapped a motor before. So I guess what Im asking is, would it be better to keep fixing the 5m, and have a slower motor, or go with the 7m? The body needs some work, mainly surface rust and trim, but the hatch is pretty bad, and the cheapest one I can find is $200. The frame is solid, the interior not bad, but in general- it needs some work. I picked the car up for cheap because the guy who owned it before me knew nothing about cars, and couldnt drive stick, so he wasted the clutch, so I just put in a brand new one. I dont want to dump the car, but wonder if it would be worth the 7m upgrade? Sorry if Im rambling here, but just trying to put in all points Im considering :) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well... It really depends on your Level of confidence, knowledge, and determination. Its not the easiest swap in the world to do... but itys not the hardest either.

Thge best place to look would be on the SONiC website (Supra Owners Network in Canada) and read over Reg Reimers original notes on the swap. If thats something you think you can manage..then dive in :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
6M or 7M

Well it depends... a 7MGTE set-up it good for the sense that you have a better engine and a turbo in a whole package... but if you are just wanting some more power with the expense of an easy install.... go with the 6MGE set-up and it is just plug and play kind of deal... this set-up is not as complicated as a 7MGTE.... by putting in 3.0L 12v motor with 190hp and 200 ft-lbs of torque is a great upgrade for the mild performance of the supra.... But if you are really going all out and wants some serious power... go with the 7MGTE

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much does a decent 6m go for?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well, if you can change your clutch you should be able to swap in a 7m. Its not that hard, it's just that you have to pay attention to detail. Any time you swap motors you have to remember where everything goes. As far as the pan/pump goes, you don't have to cut anything. Just use the pump and pan out of the 5m, preferrably an 85. If you know how to solder, the wiring part is easy as you don't need to rewire that many wires. The big thing is planning. Make sure you have all the parts ready before tackling it. Check out the links on CS.com and there are a few real in depth write ups on the swap.

CHristian

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts