Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 5m-ge motors both have been torn down and was going to just bore it and run Nos but my friend has a 240sx with an sr20det and the thing is a beast! and I want to know how I can make the most power from turboing the 5m. I need to know the magic mixture to make my oldie a booster

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
checkl the FAQ section the the celicasupra.com website.... there are a couple of 5MGTE conversions by Aaron garney and a few for a 6M build up of the turbo set-up... check them out and have a basic idea how and what parts to use

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
The turbo will definately help the 5m to breath but the problem is getting the requisite amount of fuel into the cylinders at the right time. Over 200 rwhp has been proven but for every one success story I've read two or three disaster reports, mostly involving the head gasket. A metal head gasket is a must if you intend to push it. The standard fuel setup is based on a 6:1 or greater rising rate fuel pressure regulator as you probably already know. Another alternative, more expensive, but would give greater control for tuning and more reliability would be an extra injector, a large one (or two), and a programmable driver unit. I can't say I've done this but logically it just makes sense as it would give you almost infinite control over your fuel map while under boost. If I were intent on getting a reliable 10-12psi on a 5m, I'd go with the injector driver, a 1:1 rising rate regulator and either one 750cc or mabe even two 500cc injectors. Either way you go, I would also use a boost timing control unit. Of course all this is getting into 7m-gte swap cost territory which is probably why we haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Phil D.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
One of our list members has been using larger injectors in conjunction with a piggyback device that modifies the signal from the AFM to the ECU to "fool" the ECU into operating along an entirely different segment of its fuel curve. This works but its not as precise as a secondary injector driver. You are still limited to the hard-coded fuel curve set by the factory for the n/a motor. Ironically, its not the top end of the curve thats the problem, but rather its the bottom. This setup would have to run rich at idle and part throttle and would not likely be able to pass emissions. The Super AFC I think its called is really not designed to allow you to radically change injector size or add a turbo but rather to allow tuning for more minor modifications like exhaust and cams and such. As always tho, theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You can easily upgrade to 210cc injectors without worrying about idle. You ca also move up to the 7mge 295cc low impedence injectors, but will need an S-AFC or a MAF Conversion to adequately turn down the fuel at idle. I know at least one list member is running 295's with only using the AFM to turn down the fuel at idle, but I believe he is still running very rich.

You probably want to check into the AFM to MAF conversion. This will give you more airflow and the capability to do some tuning with your laptop. One list member is going to use this along with 440cc injectors and an rrfpr to go for 20psi of boost in his '82 Turbo.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
...what I dont see is why noone suggests using a AIC (additional injector controller). They have two things they run off of, boost and rpm, and are completely adjustable.

--BillyM

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Billy, I think the main reason most people shy from them is the fact that 99% of them are placed prior to the throttle body. Doesn't sound like a problem until you think about it. Spraying the fuel before the intake runner means you have no control over which runner the fuel goes into. 90% of the time, these set-ups end up with every cylinder either running rich or lean. Thats why, in most cases, you no longer see factory or OEM replacement fuel systems using these set-ups

The optimum way to control your fuel (IMO) would be a full stand alone engine management. Cost and complexity are the most prohibitive problems on this one. Next I would say additional injectors placed in the Intake runners, with some kind of controller referencing RPM, and intake pressure. The problem here is there is a lot of fabrication involved and programing the controller can sometimes beharder than the Stand alone. After that, I would recommend a piggyback computer (like the Apex-i S-AFC or the Split Second MAF Conversion). Like Phil already ststed, the biggest limitsation here is that your not making a new map, your modifying the stock one. Last on my list would be a tie between the RRFPR and larger injectors with modifying the AFM. The RRFPR idea has always struck me as a band-aid, when a tournoquet is needed. The larger injectors and ther AFM mods, your never really able to get optimum tuning thru the entire RPM range...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Has anyone looked into having a factory MKII computer reprogrammed for turbo duty? I realize that the electronics are very old and probably can't be reprogrammed. I guess at this point you might as well go into full stand alone system.

·
Registered
537 Posts
How about using the 7mgte ECU? My 7m guru's offhand reaction mentioned the problem of the coil pack ignitor signal issues. i.e. the 7mgte ECU triggers multiple signals rather than 1 signal. But what if you used the 7mgte crank timing reader thing (or a substitute) and the 7m coil packs?
Let's think about this. What are the other issues to be sorted out?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Obocecha said:
Has anyone looked into having a factory MKII computer reprogrammed for turbo duty? I realize that the electronics are very old and probably can't be reprogrammed. I guess at this point you might as well go into full stand alone system.
toysport does a reprogrammed ecu...$850.00 us ... they have to replace some of the computer chips inside to make it work.. they will program it to what ever set up you have...

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
I thought someone tried this and after much BS found out toysport did NOT do MK2-Only MK3 and 4- :?

·
Registered
415 Posts
i listed all my set up in an email and have been talking to them on the phone ...they say they can do it but why would you when you can hook up an safc for half the cost...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts