Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Late last year, I was told that I was going on another deployment to NZ and Antarctica. This was to be my second deployment down to the ice. Since I made good money the first time (in excess of 2 grand for 2 weeks), I decided to throw everything I made at the Supra this time. That meant BIG plans. The list I worked on for several weeks before and after the trip was pretty extensive. Here's the list of what I purchased for the build.

* 6MGE Engine
* Radiator
* new hoses
* new coolant temp sensor
* Royal Purple fluids
* New cap
* New rotor
* All new spark plugs
* new Timing belt
* new fuel filter
* HID Headlight conversion kit
* Front end performance bushing kit
* Transmission rebuild kit
* Antenna
* New fuel filter
* 200 amp Alternator
* Rear wheel bearings
* Whiteline 27MM adjustable front end sway bar
* New 3rd brake light(s)
* new 20mm hub-centric wheel spacers
* new LED hood squirter lights
* 100 watt replacement bulbs for fog lights
* red wire looms
* Brand new set of shoes (tires)
Front – BFGoodrich Radial T/A 235/60R14
Rear – BFGoodrich Radial T/A 245/60R14

November 2011 came, and I left for my military deployment. Good times, hard work, and an experience of a lifetime. I was gone for over 3 weeks to Christchurch, New Zealand, in support of Operation Deep Freeze. Made it to Antarctica two more times, for a grand total of 4 trips to “the Ice”. I saved my money, and just like I planned, started buying parts like a mad man when the checks started rolling in.

First, and most important on the list was the 6MGE engine. I researched and plotted and searched and scoured. Found an engine back east for 1600 (shipped) to my driveway. I made the purchase and within 3 days, that engine was sitting on a pallet in my driveway! Amazing.

(NEW ENGINE)

With my newly acquired 6M, I wanted to do naughty things to it. Drained the oil and took note of the condition. JET BLACK. If this is a 60K mile engine as stated, I doubt the oil had ever been changed. It was as black as outer space. I stripped off the intake and cleaned it all up. I want everything to be as new as possible. The timing cover came off and was cleaned up. Painted the “DOHC” on the front a brilliant red (just for fun). Replaced the timing belt, as I don’t know how old it is, or how long it’s been sitting. Better safe than sorry. Injectors were pulled and cleaned. New spark plugs, cap, rotor, and thermostat.

(EBU)

Old engine pulled

During the engine removal, we had an interruption by the cops. My daughter was playing with Dirick’s RC car. She was racing it up and down the street. Eventually, she took it too far, and it ran into an intersection – right in front of a cop. He had to hit the brakes before running over the little car. Alyssa whipped the car around and it flew back up the street past our driveway. A moment later, the cop pulls up in front of my driveway. He steps out, and I’m thinking he’s going to chew me out for working so early in the morning, or having my music too loud in the garage.

Nope. He asks if we’re the owners of the RC car that he almost flattened! We all bust out laughing and I call my daughter over to face the music. Needless to say, she was embarrassed.

Back to work!

and oil pan removed. Oil pickup removed. That’s when the horrifying truth was revealed… The 5MGE engine was about dead. Shiny metal shavings coated the bottom of the oil pan. I was surprised the engine was even still RUNNING. I suppose, it’s a testimate to the strength and durability of Japanese motors. Hope I get a good 200K out of the 6MGE engine.

(BAD ENGINE)

Once everything was cleaned up and swapped, it was time to put the 6MGE engine in the car. Everyone had their hands in the cookie jar for this one, and no issues with getting it in the engine bay.

(THE ENGINE INSTL)

While the front end was up off the ground, I changed out the front sway bar with something MUCH beefier.

(SWAY BAR)

And, now....... engine installation:

Brand new HID headlights. HID low beams, and Halogen high beams. It’s a plug and play system. Hook up the ballast, plug in the light, install the lens, turn it on and go.

(HID)

I really love the 3rd brake light of the rare 86 Supra. Unfortunately, they’re hard to come by, so I had to come up with my own. I found some really bright, red, LED lights for a 12 volt system. Wiring them up to brake lights is easy as pie. Found the perfect place to mount them, too. Since they shine directly down on the rear window, the light reflects back to those traveling behind me. I like the setup and have already had much praise for it.

(3RD BRAKE LIGHT)

Final project was the rear wheel spacers. I picked up a 20MM set of spacers to kick the tires out to a more respectable stance in the back.

The before stance…

After…

All in all....... between myself, Dad, Dave, Dirick, Cameron, and Bryce, we probably put in over 100 hours worth of labor into this project.

The payoff?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spacer came from Ebay. I did a bunch of poking around for a while and came up with a good spacer that got good reviews.

Seller is: macprostore
his ebay store link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/macprostore/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Shipping was free. Part is good quality. Not a single issue with the seller, or the product. Don't know if it was the best value I ever got, but I'm not complaining. In my opinion... money worth being spent.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My buddy said it was a stroke of genius that I don't have very often. I have to agree with him on that one.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Very cool, we'll be doing the same this summer...innovative LED setup, me like! :salute:
That's what I thought too, but what does it look like in the rearview mirror? Isn't it a little distracting?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I thought too, but what does it look like in the rearview mirror? Isn't it a little distracting?
When I first thought of it, I thought it might be, so we tested it. The lights shine down on the rear window. It's a red glow in the back seat. During the day, it's not even noticable. At night or in the dark, it's noticable but not distracting. In the rear view mirror, it's hardly noticable - day or night.

I had no idea the lights would be the selling point of all this! SH!T

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another sub-project came about during the engine swap. Dirick decided to pull apart the hatch. It was so gross inside. 25+ years of dirt and grime. There was some serious cleaning going on during it's dis-assembly. The reason for pulling it apart was to run the new brake light wires through the hatch and down through the washer nozzle port. It's totally hidden now, with no exposed wires.

Even addressed a small rust spot at the corner.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got my tires delivered from across the country. Damn things are getting hard to come by. BFGoodrich Radial T/A's in 235/60R14 for the front and 245/60R14 for the rear.

Gawd DAMN they look good! The old tires were running dangerously low on tread which made for some sideways driving. Fun, but dangerous. These had no slide to them last night on my way home from Pep Boys. They hook up HARD.

Here are the D/S rotors, and the 20mm spacer on the rear.

Front end... brand new tire. SO SEXY.

And, the rear end with 245's, and a 20mm spacer. Shoves that tire right out to the edge.

And.... How it sits now.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
up in the air, this is what I *THOUGHT* I was going to see on the ground. Actually got a little nervous.

But, once on the ground, it sucked in and is just perfect.

-Brian

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started in on another phase of my latest obsession this weekend. My rear differential was straight-up HOWLING. I have a stereo system that is very naughty and can be painfully loud, and it never really masked the noise coming from the rear end. (no pun intended)

I put in my order through RabidChimp and waited for my parts. Aaron had some troubles with his suppliers, but really ended up going above and beyond to get me the parts when I needed them. Many thanks to Aaron for that. You are top notch in my book. Here's what I ordered:

Differential Rebuild Kit for the MKII Supra. Consists of:
  • Carrier bearings X 2 $52.28 ea
  • Differential cover gasket $9.78
  • Inner pinion bearing $66.92
  • Outer pinion bearing $36.86
  • Side seals X 2 $13.46 ea
  • Crush sleeve $14.03
  • Pinion nut $5.50
  • Pinion seal $17.51
Now, when I got the parts, I put in a call to my buddies and they came through for me. Saturday morning, my oldest son and I started in on the car. Jacked up the rear end about as high as I could get it, and threw some jack stands under there for support. Then, because of the efforts of others, I had the pumpkin torn out of the car in a matter of a half hour. It was so easy, I thought I must’ve done something wrong! But, alas, it really is THAT easy.

nothing to it!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eventually, Dirick showed up and we started tearing the rear differential apart. I am a professional mechanic for the Air Force, but airplanes are my specialty. Cars and trucks are my hobby, and thus, I’m not nearly as good at them. Dirick knows more about the differentials than I do, and so I really used his expertise on Saturday to help me with this project.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here was the little bastard that made so much freak'n noise. Dave said it was just about the most shot bearing he'd ever seen.

We tried to take two pictures to show how much deflection it had, but it didn't work as well as I hoped. Hope you get the idea though....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After everything got taken out of the housing, things got cleaned up and organized for the build-up. Dave finally showed up, and basically took over on the build-up. He’s the master mechanic out of the 3 of us, and is (without question) the most mechanically gifted person I’ve ever met.

Not even having been there for the disassembly process, Dave took control and had the rear diff properly assembled and meshing like butter in practically no time at all. A few tools, an air ratchet, and his brain was all it took.

Once he was done with that, we threw it back under the car, bolted everything back up, and gave it a road test. Perfection in the making. Not a sound from the rear diff. It rolls like a brand new car. Now, when I pass by someone and get a second look, I’ll know it’s for the car and not for the gawd awful noise that it’s making.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this looks worse in the picture than it actually is.

basically, a cutoff wheel nicked the top surface and took off the black junk and exposed the shiny metal underneath. I freaked when I saw it, but it was a micrometer of thickness. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question about your differential? When you put it back together, how do you set the backlash (exact spacing the gears) so they do not destory the rear end gears?

I have seen old muscle cars, that owner put 411's in. Then couple days later the whole rear end explodes, destroying the rear axle.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I wish I had a solid answer for you. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about them to be able to answer that question, much less give an accurate answer. I'm sure there are threads that have been posted that can answer that, and there are certainly more qualified people here on the forums who understand it better than I do.

However, My buddy is the one who put that mess back together while I stood there scratching my head in disbelief. He had simple tools - sockets, pliers, screwdrivers and an impact socket gun. He set it all by feel. I started to doubt him, but when we drove it, it purrs like a kitten. Absolutely no noise from the differential. And trust me, it used to howl like a banshee. Dave used to say that it sounded like a 747 behind me, and I can't disagree with him on that.

We were going to use gear paste (or whatever it's called), but nobody in the area had any, and it was late in the evening when we hit that point. Dave decided to just "wing it". Yeah, he's that good.

The proper way to set the backlash is with the paste. Stuff it in the ring gear and cycle it through. When you look at the paste, it shouldn't be built up on one side or the other. It should be right down the middle (or so I understand it).

Sorry I can't be of better help. Might I suggest youtube?

1 - 20 of 196 Posts