Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
161 - 180 of 216 Posts
OK,you win.:salute:

The red stripe makes it really POP!!!!!
It's too clean,but you will mess it up soon enough.Mine is always full of multiple projects that I'm waiting on parts for.
Shelves from floor to ceiling in my little shops.Some store-bought,some made with 2 X 4's.
sawdust,paint dust,but LOTS of lights,like a frikken' tanning booth.Mostly fluorescent tubes,like yours. Way to go!

Thanks. This vision has been stuck in my head for 10 years now, feels good to finally put it together. The garage was originally detached but with some expensive permits and fancy engineering I was able to extend it to the house. It's now 26' x 36' avg and it meets the house at a 15 deg angle so it has a unique feel. There is a bonus parts storage room around the corner which doesn't even hold half the parts I have, should have gone bigger but that's what the crawl space is for, lol.

Nice, that's a good size. Yeah I hear you, my rafters (and basement) are loaded lol.
I remember you had parts all over the place lol. I think the problem is the more space one has or makes, the more stuff one accumulates. I need to liquidate one day or stop adding storage apace.

No, the problems arise when one accumulates too many cars lol. Once you have a house with a little room, its really easy to acquire parts cars. Especially when you're known to be into them, they literally just show up on your doorstep sometimes. It can be really hard to say no, but I do now as each parts car takes so much work to strip down, and then you either have to spend months selling the parts or have room to stash whatever you want to keep. I've had 20 supras now, I'm done! lol

Here is another piece for the garage, I restored it a few years ago and it's been under a dust bag while the Reno's took place. It's a 1958 Bennett gas pump, I know it's not period correct for our cars but I wanted to do something that wasn't the typical gas brand. It's powered and lights up with the switch, one day I'll have time to do the other pumps.

Reactions: Beernuts
It's now 26' x 36' avg
Nice, that's a good size. Yeah I hear you, my rafters (and basement) are loaded lol.
That's about the size I've got and its nowhere near big enough. You can never have a garage that's big enough. Must be a Murphy's Law or something that your hobby will always grow to encompass whatever space you have available.

No, the problems arise when one accumulates too many cars lol. Once you have a house with a little room, its really easy to acquire parts cars. Especially when you're known to be into them, they literally just show up on your doorstep sometimes. It can be really hard to say no, but I do now as each parts car takes so much work to strip down, and then you either have to spend months selling the parts or have room to stash whatever you want to keep. I've had 20 supras now, I'm done! lol
I started turning them down over a decade ago (stopped at nine) and haven't brought one home in 12 years. But here in Texas, 1) they got driven year round so all the parts cars already had over quarter million miles on them, 2) the sun and heat had completely toasted every bit of plastic, rubber and vinyl, 3) they'd been living outside and usually endured a hail storm or ten, and 4) usually on offer because they'd just completely disintegrated and worn out rather than because of a collision. In essence, the local parts cars weren't worth the cost of having them towed even if they were being offered for free. But on the plus side, I really would have space problems if there were any viable parts cars left.

Me and the little woman went to visit some neighbors who recently had to move due to a municipal property appropriation.

Scott and Heather had a very nice garage at the old house so he is trying to make do with the garage on their new property.

His old garage had dual doors, but this one only has one. The old doors were wider but it would cost too much to install both or widen the existing one.
He is going to replace the door with an insulated one. He has a 2 post and a 4 post lift that will be going sideways that will allow him to bring a car in the door and then turn right to get to the lifts.

The ceiling is about 15' tall. I truly am not sure of the dimensions, but looking at the drywall, the size appears adequate.
He had a 200A electrical service installed and he placed electrical boxes up high so that his antique signage can be powered. Scott has a bad back so he placed the lower electrical receptacles at belt height so he doesn't have to bend down to plug things in.

The back wall where he is has a machine shop room on the right and what is going to be a library on the left. The machine shop has a separate 12' high entrance of it's own to keep airborne grit out of the shop area.

The library has a natural gas powered fireplace with large windows to let the light in.

He and his wife are president and vice president of a major car club in the area so they have a lot of events and work at their house.

I think it's so cute; they met through the car club.

It again begs the question; Why did I have to be born so darn good looking instead of rich.

Dale

Reactions: ddd228
Small Garage don't even have so much room! I would like be moved out too!

My house is fine, garage is too small! Need a BARN! BARDOMINIUM.
That's what I want to do when I retire. Till then I'm going to try to make do with what I got, but the dream is to move out to the country or small town and construct a large metal building, big enough for at least ten cars with like a 2 bed 1 1/2 bath apartment inside and nice covered patio on one end with BBQing equipment. I've got to think about the layout tho.

The "one door" idea is cheaper but needs to be properly implemented. Here in the city, I built a four car detached garage with one 16' wide door in my back yard. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal but I'm finding it's rather inconvenient to get out either of the two cars parked behind plus it often takes 30 minutes to shuffle all four cars (what with car covers and battery tenders and drip pans and if I start a car, I let it warm all the way up) just so I can use the lift for a 20 minute oil change. And whatever I'm going to be working on has to be at the back so as not to block in a car that's running.

Ideally I'd like to have all the bays in a row, each with it's own 8' wide door, but that requires a lot of concrete driveway which isn't cheap. I figure I'll have to save money by installing just one door and one narrow driveway, but then I'll have to design in open area/maneuvering space inside the building. I don't want become one of those hoarders that you see on Barn Find Hunter because its too difficult to get a car out when I'm 80-90 years old (or heck, even when I'm 58). I'll want it laid out so that I can get any car out at any time without moving any of the other cars. I hope your neighbors don't wind up driving one or another car significantly less because its now going to be harder to get it in and out through the one door.

I've been trying to convince my wife to do a 12-car garage with an "apartment" above for years. I think where I'm going wrong is calling it an apartment since there would be about 3,000 s.f. up there...

I've been trying to convince my wife to do a 12-car garage with an "apartment" above for years. I think where I'm going wrong is calling it an apartment since there would be about 3,000 s.f. up there...
I'm kind of torn by the idea of an "upstairs" living quarters, but it makes sense from the budget perspective. Obviously you are going to want the building tall enough to put a full-sized truck on a lift and raise it over your head so its got to be two stories tall anyway. Thus use much of the upper level for the living quarters and leave a portion open to the rafters where the lift(s) would be. But as a "retirement" home, I'm not sure if its such a good idea to build it to where I have to climb stairs when I'm 90. Maybe design it with a designated space, and if I need it, sell one of the cars and install an elevator later. But maybe better to just enlarge the footprint and put the main living quarters on the ground floor with guest accommodations and parts storage upstairs.

Reactions: ddd228
161 - 180 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.