Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sooo…ya…it’s been a while so I decided…what the hell…lets get this party started. I’ve been holding off on this build for ages for 2 reason:

1. My ultimate build was a Hybrid 7M Block 5M head twin GT28RS +++ and I was hoping to get that done
  2. I was adamant that I was going to do work myself
2009 comes alone (mk2 is off the road for 3 years at this point in time) and reality set in that the twin turbo build is not something that can NOT be done right now. I also made a decision: pay a shop to finish the car or let it sit in storage another 4 years . I barely have the time to fill gas in the car these days so I decided on option #1.

I’d also like to send out a HUGE thanks for Mark from Vancouver Toyota; I can’t tell you how many times I realized I was missing/needing yet ANOTHER part and had to bother him. Response and shipping times were INSANE…I have NO idea what we would do without Mark but I owe him big time.

If I may I’d also like to thank Damian for the inspiration; his build really pushed me to get the car done...so did driving 3 awesome MK2's at the Montreal meet last year: Joseph's 7M; Nicholas's 1J and Rob's Euro 7M.

Late last year I the motor was fully built with:

• 7MGTE Block – w/factory rods
  • Wiesco Pistons – Ceramic Coated Tops and Moly Coated Skirts
  • Port/Polished 5M head w/1mm Oversized Valve and Chevy Spring (flowbench specs coming soon)
  • HKS Cams (unknown specs) w/Titan 2J cam gears
  • ARP Rod Bolts
  • ARP Main Studs
  • HKS 1.2mm MHG
  • Toyota Gasket set +all coolant lines replaced
Attached to this motor will be:
  • Fidanza Flywheel
  • Raptor Racing 4 Puck Feramic Clutch Kit
  • ARP Flywheel Bolts
  • S3 Shifter
  • DIYAUTO PnP Megasquirt
  • Ford EDIS Trigger Wheel
  • Delphi D585 LS2 Coils
  • Greddy 550cc Injectors
  • Denso MKIV Fuel Pump
  • Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Knocksense for MS Knock Module
  • AEM Boost and Wideband Gauges – Analog w/black face and green backlight
  • Defi Din Gauge- Analog w/black face and green backlight (see the pattern here) – has 2 temp and 1 pressure so will do water temp; oil temp and oil pressure
  • Innovate LC-1
  • Amsoil EAAU-3070 Dry Filter
  • Amsoil Dual Remotve By-Pass filter system – w/earls oil thermostat; earls spin on adapter and Setrab Oil cooler
  • All oil and coolant lines will be built with Russells Pro-Classic hoses ends and hose
  • Ceramic Coated 7M Manifold
  • HKS Sport Turbo with Ceramic Coated Hot side
  • HKS EZ II Boost Controller
  • Spearco Intercooler w/Raptor Racing Aluminum Intercooler Piping Kit with TIAL Q 50mm BOV
  • Rabid Chimp Throttle Body
  • Raptor Racing EGR Block Off Plates
  • Raptor Racing Divorced Downpipe
  • Raptor Racing Cat Back System with powder coater muffler and Raptor Racing Metallic Cat
I think that’s about it for the parts; the rest of the car is nothing crazy: ST springs (coming out soon); Tokico Illuminas’s (coming out soon) and Whiteline swaybars. I won’t bother putting the Phase 2 build plans as that might Jinx things.

Most of you haven’t seen the car in so long I’m sure you forgot what it looks like:

I’ll more than likely be selling the Braids and replace them with the P-Type replica’s…just waiting for more details before I get rid of them.

Here are a few shots of the parts:
Wiesco Pistons:

Overview of parts as I was taking “inventory” of what I had:

Defi Din Panel; D585 Coil; Coil harness + EDIS VR Sensor:

KnockSense; Denso Pump and LC-1:

Setrab Oil Cooler:

Raptor Racing Clutch Kit; Fidanza + Ceramic Coated Manifold:

Crappy Pix of Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass Unit:

Greddy Injectors; Raptor Racing 5M EGR Plates + other goodies:

Earl's Oil Thermostat + Aeromotive FPR:

Thanks Mike Rapp for the freshly coated brackets:

HKS Sport Turbo with ceramic coated hot side

HKS Intake Manifold - powdercoated wrinkle black - still not done with it as I might do a mirror finish on the top part...not sure yet:

Seeing that I have done most of the work and have the parts needed to support it I decided I would see if we can squeeze an Accumulator in there. It's a 2QT Accusump with a 25PSI Electrical Pressure Switch. Still not 100% sure we're going to use the switch; going to shim the oil pump first to see what sort of oil pressure we're getting.

That's about it for now. More updates as I get them; unfortunately I'm not going to have any time to go and check the progress so if the boys @ PUR are reading this PLEASE PLEASE take pix as you build.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I am interested when you find out more about the Chevy springs since there has been much discussion on them, but I do not remember seeing anyone actually using them with results.

Past that, good luck on the work, and it is nice having a shop that you can put your trust into.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well lookie lookie ,,, Georgie boy is feelin the need to get er done :thumbsup: Looks like it's going to be a quality build !! I'm sure Rupinder will make sure it's done to your standards. Can't wait to see you crusin in a Hot MKII again buddy ,, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more than you. Hope it all works out great for you George !!!

Question ,,, if your using the LC-1 for the megasquirt , why not use a XD-16 gauge ? You can use the second output signal off the LC-1 and plug right into the XD-16 . No need for 2 WB 02 sensors in the downpipe. If you wanted to keep the gauges the same, use another xd-16 gauge for boost. You would need an Innovate Aux box to run the 2nd xd-16 for pressure. As a bonus you can make custom back grounds for these gauges . Raptor Racing gauge faces would be a nice touch . Just a thought :)

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I think Bruce wrap it up, you deserve to have on of your own !
Hope things will get to your taste, you already have so many nice ingedients, you know the recipe, the end result will be amazing !

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's about damn time for this thread! Saw the car and motor at the shop when I was there a week or so ago. I can't wait for a ride in this beast.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Well George I have to say I'm sorry to hear that Raptor Racing isn't busy enough to keep you away from the project car. LOL. I do hope that the business levels improve. I hope to put my money where my mouth is when I get my car back next month. Now that my wife and I are both working again, it should only take a few years to pay off the bills and build up some savings again! I hope that our house in WI sells soon!

Looking forward to seeing the final results on your beautiful black Supra. Keep posting photos! That's a very nice collection of parts...

·
Super Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am interested when you find out more about the Chevy springs since there has been much discussion on them, but I do not remember seeing anyone actually using them with results.

Past that, good luck on the work, and it is nice having a shop that you can put your trust into.
I'll have to try to dig that info up. I bought the head off of a forum member who had it professionally built YEARS ago. I know I asked the same question you did and did get an answer. I just don't know where I put it :eekfacepalm:

Question ,,, if your using the LC-1 for the megasquirt , why not use a XD-16 gauge ? You can use the second output signal off the LC-1 and plug right into the XD-16 . No need for 2 WB 02 sensors in the downpipe. If you wanted to keep the gauges the same, use another xd-16 gauge for boost. You would need an Innovate Aux box to run the 2nd xd-16 for pressure. As a bonus you can make custom back grounds for these gauges . Raptor Racing gauge faces would be a nice touch . Just a thought :)
Bruce...you have no idea how long I pondered this one. The gauges were the hardest decision in this build believe it or not. In the end I REALLY wanted all the gauges to have a factory look: black face and green backlight and this was the reason I went with the gauge selection I did. I have never been a fan of digital gauges and tried to avoid using them.

Verry cool to see you using the 5m head and a 7m block. Do you use the 7m or 7mgte block?
7MGTE...I wanted the squirters.

Can't wait to see it G.

Hopefully i'll have mine up and running as well....MHG time.
Mark I have your MHG in stock but in London the next 4 days...we'll chat when I get back.

Lookin good Georgy!!! The only thing I see weird is them pistons....they look like a single eyebrow smiling face....where's all the valve reliefs??? :p
Hahaha...smart ass. You know it would have been soooo much easier (and probably cheaper) to go 7M or 1J. I certainly didn't stick with the 5M head because it's better, I just wanted to try to build a period specific car and keep the look as original as possible. I've always loved the look and sound of the 5M head so decided to bite the bullet and "try" to build a bulletproof Hybrib. In the end who is kidding who; anything over 400rwhp in a MK2 is nuts anyway.

1 - 20 of 316 Posts