Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just purchased my dream car, 1982 mkii Supra! While I did a quick check on the car to make sure nothing too bad is going on I am noticing a few things that I need help on.

1) the dashboard and center console aren’t doing too good if anyone knows wats to revamp/refresh it or where to buy replacement trim parts be generous and share that

2) after a day of sitting out on my driveway I noticed little drops of liquid yet to be identified so some hose is busted and I don’t really know what it is

3) the suspension is so weird there is so much bounce and roll so what are good replacement suspension

4)the gas tank reads incorrectly and keeps changing its mine every time

that’s all for now it’s a lot but this is my dream car and I want it to be perfect so please any and all help is appreciated! Also feel free to make this an actual guide to new buyers and if you can write a checklist as to what one should look for in this car etc!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello Henry,

You MAY have luck with YotaYard. You will have to call them. Their website does not show much but they have just about everything as far as interior goes. Got my center console from them.

As far as the fuel gauge goes, it is likely time for a new fuel pump. As they age, they tend to stick. I kind of got lucky with my car. For the most part, it is getting "younger" as I drive it. Little things that didn't work when I bought it such as cruise control and some lights have started working again out of the blue. I joke about it and call it Christine.

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
The fuel pump has nothing to do with the fuel gauge. You can actually pull the fuel sender out of the tank fairly easy, that has an access panel in the rear hatch. Its a little floater in the tank, a pretty simple device. Have a search here, this is a pretty common problem, especially in the 82s as I recall.

·
Founding Member
6,373 Posts
Hello, I have just purchased my dream car, 1982 mkii Supra! While I did a quick check on the car to make sure nothing too bad is going on I am noticing a few things that I need help on.

1) the dashboard and center console aren’t doing too good if anyone knows wats to revamp/refresh it or where to buy replacement trim parts be generous and share that

2) after a day of sitting out on my driveway I noticed little drops of liquid yet to be identified so some hose is busted and I don’t really know what it is

3) the suspension is so weird there is so much bounce and roll so what are good replacement suspension

4)the gas tank reads incorrectly and keeps changing its mine every time

that’s all for now it’s a lot but this is my dream car and I want it to be perfect so please any and all help is appreciated! Also feel free to make this an actual guide to new buyers and if you can write a checklist as to what one should look for in this car etc!
Welcome aboard.

Most all of the plastic, rubber and vinyl parts for trim, both interior and exterior are pretty much no longer available new here in the states. There are a handful of exceptions so check your nearby dealership. Some have found luck ordering a few pieces from Japan. You may try Toyota Car & Auto Spare Parts Online - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama

Other than that, you have to hunt for good used parts. Occasionally somebody will part out a Supra with some decent trim, but you have be quick to beat the rest of us vultures. For example, if somebody posts a crack-free upper dash pad for sale on here, it will be sold in a matter of minutes to to a couple hours depending on the color.

For interior trim, you may want to consider buying good used parts even if they are the wrong color. SEM Colorcoat has reasonably good matches for black and blue.

You can also post in the wanted section, but beware of the seller's history, length of time on the forum and post count as we've had some scammers recently contacting wanted posts and claiming to have the needed parts.

I'm one of those "never facebutters", however, I understand some people have been posting parts for sale on there too. And of course ebay.

Our only source for "reproduction" parts is George at Raptor Racing. We've managed to get a few weatherstrip items reproduced through the power of the group-buy. George will sometimes order some "extras" for inventory so you can check his site and see what's available.

Mechanical parts to keep it running and driving are a little easier because so many parts also fit other Toyotas. Or there are generic aftermarket parts that can be adapted. But we're starting to have issues finding some Supra-specific gaskets, bearings and such.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
70 Posts
The fuel pump has nothing to do with the fuel gauge. You can actually pull the fuel sender out of the tank fairly easy, that has an access panel in the rear hatch. Its a little floater in the tank, a pretty simple device. Have a search here, this is a pretty common problem, especially in the 82s as I recall.
Thanks for catching that. I meant fuel sending unit, not pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how would you recommend I go about fixing that though? I found a few discussions on how to remove the tank but where would i find a fuel sender for this car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few more questions arose as i kept diving deeper into this car.
First, the driver side control for the passenger window is moving the window very slow as compared to the passenger side window control.

Also, I need a new radiator AND a new catalytic converter what do you recommend? (I will most likely run a 3 inch exhaust and a muffler at the end)

and finally once all is said and done a mechanic i work with said the car needs a tune but Im not even sure if such a thing exists for this car as ive never seen or read anything about that!

p.s. i love that even though these cars is pushing 30+ years the forums are still active!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The fuel sending unit is located inside the tank. You can get to that through the top of the tank.

A radiator should be very easy to find. I bet Amazon even has one.

The catalytic converter will be a universal piece.

As far as a tune up goes, get some new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and distributor rotor.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Founding Member
6,373 Posts
There's no point in running a 3" exhaust unless you are also swapping in a turbo engine and planning to race it. A 2 1/4" system with a high flow cat, a glass packed style muffler like a Magnaflow combined with a 4" resonator midway between the cat and muffler will flow way more than a stock 5m can put out and sound very nice. Remember you are literally building a musical instrument. The 5m engine isn't very big and is like starting with a 16mm trumpet mouthpiece. Putting a 3" pipe behind it is like playing it through a tuba which takes like 31mm mouthpiece. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
The OEM arm rest/center console pad goes away. I stripped mine and found a very close BLUE fake Vinyl and went at it. It's now much taller than stock and WAY more comfortable/usable. I actually rest my right elbow on it while driving. I suggest a firm foam rubber. Mine is now about 2 " tall. Car upholstery shops will have what you need. The glue is most important. They have that, too. Maybe "gorilla snot".

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I put the system from Raptor on mine and i like it verry much
fits perfect, sounds good, and helps George. win-win-win

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm also running RR 2 1/2 inch with their cat and stock header. I like the way it looks, very close to the two pipe outlet on the stock system muffler, only larger. I do wonder about the "stealth" part, as it is most definitely louder than stock. The muffler is about half the size of the original. But it sounds good. Hardest part of the install was sawing/angle grinding the old system off. Also, Kbox.ca has a gasket set for the tail lights and rear side markers. They also have the trim that goes between the body and wheel well flares, if you have a P type. $50 USD each.

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies!!! I have begun replacing gaskets, seals, bushings, bearing, and other stuff to ensure a safe comfy and lasting ride!! I’ll be sure to update you guys once all is well and done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts