Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Malchick (Kyle) and I were striping parts off the NY L type in preparation for sending it to the crusher yesterday.

There are a lot of threads covering changing the fuel filter in the engine bay, but none covering the 'inline' filter that is in the inlet of the external fuel pump.

Of course if you have dirt in your tank, the tank needs to be cleaned out first, but don't forget about this small and easily clogged inline filter.

This filter is the little cone in the middle of this pic:

This filter sits in the inlet of the fuel pump:

See how easily it can plug up:

On the 82/83 external fuel pump MkII's, this little inline filter is most probably the fuel restriction as it is before the fuel filter in the engine bay. Definately clean out your tank but remember to clean this filter out too.

Ken

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Is there a filter on the inlet tube inside the gas tank? The 83 TSRM doesn't show that tiny inline filter in the fuel system section, nor does it show what is in the tank other than the fuel gauge sending unit. :rolleyes: . The tiny filter has been noted before on this forum. I think most peeps just remove it and toss it, but I'd still be interested in knowing what is on the other end of the inlet tube inside the tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
drop my 82s tank 2 days ago theres a small bag filter on the inlet its about 2 inches by 4 inches in size and mine was completely cloged:faint:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Dirtier fuel in '82? Iirc there were anticipated changes in emissions laws and fuel production during the early '80s so maybe for later model mkIIs changes were put into to place to meet those requirements I may be talking out my exhaust on this one, but having an '82 L-type I'm always wondering whether it was these shifting conditions that various parts of my engine incompatible with later 5m's, or whether I'm just being punished. Could be a little from Column-A and Column-B, I guess.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I had one in my '83 Celi, but it was broken and Toyota has a hard problem finding them, plus it is $15 for the little "coffee filter".

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Does anyone have a pic. of the "bag filter" inside the tank? I'm guessing that the cone shaped "coffee filter" may just be there to protect the FP from any small size debris that makes it past the bag filter.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Does anyone have a pic. of the "bag filter" inside the tank? I'm guessing that the cone shaped "coffee filter" may just be there to protect the FP from any small size debris that makes it past the bag filter.
The Celica's and Supra's with an external fuel filter do not have the "sock" on the inside. I think that the "coffee filter" was replaced by the "sock" when the fuel pumps went inside the tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Ken!!
Thanks for posting this....I was under the impression that the only filter was the one on the manside of the block. I will try changing or cleaning this one you are showing before I tackel the one on the block.
Thanks again
Larry

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Hey Ken!!
Thanks for posting this....I was under the impression that the only filter was the one on the manside of the block. I will try changing or cleaning this one you are showing before I tackel the one on the block.
Thanks again
Larry

84 is internal pump like the last picture, not Ken's pics.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I am talking filter not pump. But thanks for reading my post. lol
The point is, you don't have the filter Ken is talking about. You have the style, attached to the pump, as in the very last pic in the thread, and the block filter. The "coffee" filter, is 82/3 Only.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The "coffee" filter is for the INLINE pumps only. It is on the intake side of the pump when you take the fuel hose off. The IN-TANK fuel pumps use a "sock" that goes over the pick up for the pump. I do not think that the inline filters use one for the pick up tube, but I have never taken apart an 82/83 fuel tank before.

For now until I find another "coffee" filter I am using 2 sink airiator (sp?) screens offset from each other. It takes a little fine cutting, but they fit in there fine.

And do we still have to use " around coffee since it seems to be the agreed name for the filter that costs $17?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Why not? The tiny filter/strainer does sort of resemble a cone-shaped coffee maker filter .......... or a golf tee. :zzzzz:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks!

Been having fuel delivery problems- after replacing the [email protected]#$%! engine bay filter (twice) I thought that my fuel pump might be going out. Saw this thread- checked out this little filter and 'sho nuff it was about 2/3rd's clogged. I'll see how she runs now- thanks for the invaluable info.

·
Registered
208 Posts
About four years ago I had that cone filter break and the crud wedged in the fuel pump totaly stopping it. After 3 hours of being stuck in the middle of no where it unstuck.
After taking fuel pump out and finding torn cone filter, noone had this filter except toyota, special order. After six months they still couldnt get part. So I put a extra fuel filter inline. It didnt effect proformance.
P.S. if you get a new fuel pump and dont put a filter in,it voids the warranty

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Hmm, I may have to check out my tank then to see if I have a sock in mine. If there is one there it is probably pretty nasty looking.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts