Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quarter Panel Replacement EDIT*** PICS NOW WORKING

This past weekend I replaced my right quarter, something I've been wanting to do for quite a while.

Here is the "new" panel cut a ready to go.

This is what I had originally.....every now and then I would spray some undercoat or something on it to make it look like I was working on it.

Old cut off........

Rough fit before weld....

Mud after the weld.....

Sanding and paper.....

Primer and bits.......

And the flare.......

Well, scratch that off the list.

UPDATE>>>>>>>

ANd here I am today...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dewalt cutting wheel on an air tool.....lots of sparks!!!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks....the panel was wrecked when I got the car....about 1 1/2 years ago, and has been on my mind every day since. Now I can have 2 side marker lights!!!!! and complete interior trim in the trunk, its the little things that make a big difference, OH YEA!!!!!! I forgot about the R E A R W I N D O W W A S H E R.........The little things!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm happy to see you got the quarter panel done nicely. One day, hopefully while I'm in school, or if I can land a job as a helper, I can try and do my left quarter panel. Its been hit hard before, but for now its nicely pulled & bondoed. It's like my turn now to wait forever on doing my quarter panel :lol:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
care to come do my rear quarters? :D

hehe

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Must keep this thread alive EVERYBODY must see what I have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
417 Posts
Very nice work :shock: Looks like factory. Glad to see you don't have to worry about it rusting there anymore. Great Job :hail:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
................must......keep .....ughhh....thread alive............ughhhhh................................................................thread dying.......must.......................................

.................................agrhhhhhhhh... . . .

·
Registered
191 Posts
hey thats looks good you gotta be a body man fer a livin..if not WOW .. good werk

·
Registered
190 Posts
very very nice work, hopefully i can do the same with mine, but all i need to do is sand and paint.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
my black 84 has damage to rear quarter infront of the wheel i'd have to cut where you did but forward...wonder how tough that would be....but i'll say it again to keep the thread alive....GREAT FLIPPIN JOB MAN....

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trdmkii said:
my black 84 has damage to rear quarter infront of the wheel i'd have to cut where you did but forward...wonder how tough that would be....but i'll say it again to keep the thread alive....GREAT FLIPPIN JOB MAN....
Where I cut it we didn't have to mess with the glass at all, only some of the trim......I don't know about further forward though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think that I have located a rear 1/4, and I was thinking about cutting the 1/4 off of my car to save on the body work bill. Since I have not done this I have a few basic questions. First question is : is it worth me doing this, and the second is : where do i cut in relation to my new 1/4 (do I cut it short and let the body man do the fine cutting, and where on the line along the top where my hatch sits).

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well......Before cutting anything yourself talk to the shop you want to do the work and ask them if they are cool with that. Many shops, including the one I work at, will frown upon that kind of work. Not because you don't know what you are doing, but because they will not be able to gurranty the result.

If you do decide to go a head and cut it yourself, cut it so the new panel will overlap the body about an inch to 2 inched, so you can get a good weld. The shop can always cut some off if necessary. If you cut too much, any attempt to fill the gap will first off cost alot more and second not come out very well.

And too the cutting.....the only places you need to cut are on the piller above the window, and the panel below it. You DON'T cut along the hatch, under the tail lights, or along the bottom!!! These are welds that need to be drilled out then the panel needs to pe pryed off. You will also need to punch or drill holes in the new panel that match up to the ones you put in the old panel. These are where you will put the new welds.

Also When the panel is off your car make sure all rust is carefully taken care of. Grind holes in the metal if you need to! Just be sure you get ALL of it. It will be a real bitch to get too much less see after the new panel is in place. Also prime the HELL out of it.

Post some pics of you car now and the new quarter you want to put on and I'll try to give you a better idea of whats up.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The gas cap assembly....yes, but no need to remove the whole tank.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts