Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
You never do half jobs very délicates man Mr Trépanier.
I hate doing things twice! my time is worth more than that.... might aswell "man up" and do it once, properly. Mind you, sometimes I make mistakes but I do what I can to feel good about the time I invest.

dragon,
Yeah I dislike rust proofing, it makes everything go all goey. I've now replaced all the door seals etc. too.. it just destroys things! although, since my car has lived it's entire life in southern ontario, was winter driven for years before I owned it and has 360,000km on it...I am pretty sure there would be nothing left of it if It wasn't rust proofed along the way, so I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Man that looks nice. It is good to see someone take the time to do it correctly. Keep up the good work!
I now see how much dedication is truly required for a full restoration with a quality level that you have achieved and I must say I am amazed at what you have done. I once aspired to do something similar but now that I have had a taste of whats involved I realize I will need to settle somewhere in between a running car and a resto. I may once have had that drive at 16... but I also had no money. Now that I have the means to do some genuine work, the drive just isnt there. Maybe in retirement if we can still buy gasoline?

·
Founding Member
6,227 Posts
I may once have had that drive at 16... but I also had no money. Now that I have the means to do some genuine work, the drive just isnt there. Maybe in retirement if we can still buy gasoline?
That's kind of the way I feel. I used to could come home from work at the office and spend another 4 hours in the garage, eat a late dinner, go to bed, get up in 6 hours and do it all over again. Not only have I gotten older and lost testosterone according to the TV commercial, but there's so much else going on besides a car hobby. Now I figure my best bet is to aim for an early retirement.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Thanks for age reminder Phil, nice. LOL I would always like to do a full resto but I enjoy driving and enjoying a car so much that I know I couldn't because I have to drive it! And sometimes hard!

Steve as I have said repeatedly, you do awesome work and if you lived closer I could have some projects for you! I am always amazed at how awesome your projects come out. For instance, I showed someone your tail light post and they said he had to paint those and I said, nope, the man is just amazing with polishing stuff, amazing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Steve,
I just read the all of 9 pages. That's one nice story at the beginning about how you got into the Supra scene.

I remember back in 2004 at my 1st 2004 TSC meet I heard about a 16 yr old kid's mk2 got backed into at the parking lot while we were eating breakfast at a restaurant. I felt pretty bad especially when I saw you being bummed about this. Now fast forward close to 10 years it's hard to believe you are pushing 26 yrs old and have owned your mk2 for nearly 10 years! I know you are not finished fixing up your mk2 but you have done a great job! I'm sure that you are an inpiration to those who are new to Supras and in mk2's in particular. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and we are all rooting for you!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just read through this thread. Awesome job! I enjoyed the read and am scared at what is hiding under my black 84 or red 82. I have patched the 82's wheel well and rear towers, but I probably need to get more extensive work done. Great build and looking forward to the updates.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Raptor Racing and I have been very busy working on a couple new things that will be described in detail later, likely with a proper write-up, but the good news is that things fit, and my car may finally be on the road next week. I'll post just a few pictures for now..

After the new tire purchase, I wanted to get the camber mod done soon to help extend tire ife. At the same time my left rear control arm was cracked, so I decided to drop the subframe and take care of things properly. As usual, one thing leads to another. Here's what's been done:

- Sandblasted all appropriate parts and applied POR 15
- Interior for arms and subframe coated with Eastwood's anti-rust http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anti-rust-aerosol-with-ext-nozzle-black.html
- Replaced left control arm and swapped over the upgraded sway bar mounts
- Had Toyota install new oem rear wheel bearings and seals with amsoil synthetic grease
- Replaced all bushings with newly developed raptor racing urethane units
- Installed camber mod
- New raptor racing control arm bolts installed
- wheel wells freshened up the same way as the front

before

starting camber mod

looks bad

this is the underside of the left control arm. not good.

very dirty

I hate rust proofing

ready for the camber mod...

bushings on their way out..

much better

happy with this!

prototype bushings fit just fine :)

ready for the car.

It's back in the car now and looking good. It should be on the ground this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
Nice! My Raptor bushings and bolts arrive tomorrow :)

Hey, what does everyone do for the anchor bracket for the subframe mounting bolts when converting to poly bushings? We put the SuperPros in Dean Funs car, and with the stock brackets there is nothing holding the subframe to the car except about a 3/8 ring of poly, as these brackets only contact around the center hole. The stock bushings bolt to the subframe and have metal shells that are bonded to the rubber, plus the anchor brackets sit inside of them and hold them down nicely. With the car jacked up we could see the new bushings flexing from the weight of holding everything on. I don't get how people safely run poly subframe bushings, so we made new anchor brackets that are totaly flat and firmly sandwhich the poly bushings to the subframe. Am I on crack, missing something here? I've already talked to George about having these brackets reproduced.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Seamus,

I didn't even give the anchor brackets a second thought since people have been installing the bushings for years but I understand what you're saying.

consider, though, that the car's weight is always pushing down ontop of the subframe and the majority of the loads will either be applied downward onto the subframe or radially through the sleeve.

A better retainer/anchor setup like you suggest sounds like a very good idea!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Nice work looks great. Nice attention to details.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
consider, though, that the car's weight is always pushing down ontop of the subframe and the majority of the loads will either be applied downward onto the subframe or radially through the sleeve.
Yup, considered that. But also consider everytime you seriously sideload the car in a hard corner, its just that ridge of poly trying to lift the subframe, diff and A arms on the outside corner. I'd be very interested to see what someone's subframe poly bushings like SupraWes's look like after all these years. I will be sending George a template for my bracket, imo everyone running these poly bushings should be running them. Again, unless there's something I'm missing here, anyone else have any feedback on this subject?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
I made some good progress today. The car is back on the ground and moving under it's own power again. It's great to see the change in camber and out in the daylight again.

I spent most of the day refinishing the wipers and window trim which I intend to install tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get the body side moldings and flares on as well. I've decided to get the car on the road ASAP, I see no need to prolong this messing around with polishing. to anybody but an enthusiast the car should look plenty good without major polishing. I figure I can tinker away all summer doing a panel here and there, while still enjoying it.

I purchased some yellow zinc chromate flanged-head fastners from our very own Supra Ev who is starting his business "performance hardware". check him out if you need something!

much better camber. No alignment yet. I touched up the exhaust tips before mounting the muffler.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
thanks for the encouragement as usual, always great to keep the motivation up.

I am getting there. the driver's side is done. installing the repainted hatch trim was a nightmare. do not want to do that again. Raptor racing fender flare trim kit, new toyota body side moulding and rocker trim installed.

I had to put the new wheels on and roll it into the driveway. I couldn't resist. now I need to do all this to the passenger side. windshield needs trimming and the front bumper tightening up. Still, I wanted to see some portion finished to get motivation again.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Here's my last batch of pictures for this thread. I may post up a detailing/paint polishing thread later (I have not polished it), or some shots with good scenery but for now this will document the completion of this stage of the car's life. I had the car appraised today. I am waiting for his response. Safety inspection and alignment tomorrow.

Still some touch up to do, but nearly road worthy. I am loving the now crack-free dash, good arm rest and stalk switches with working detents.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts