Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Just awesome Steve! I can't wait to see it in person! The pictures look amazing! Really nice work, wish I could come up early and get you to polish on my car! ;-)

·
Super Moderator
8,132 Posts
I will give you a big Brownie point for putting the hatch sticker in the right spot :thumbsup: I can't believe so many people get that wrong. BTW if it was me I'd paint the flat black again on the bottom of the rear bumper. Also across the lower radiator support where you can see thru the bumper.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
So glossy and nice! Looks brand new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
thanks so much guys, I can't wait to get her on the road again. I can truly say it would be impossible without this community, so make sure you give yourselves all some credit for just logging into this website!

The car is currently getting towed around. I tried to get a safety and an alignment today, but they noticed the rear wheel bearing preload is incorrect. So it looks like that $360 labour bill from toyota was nothing more than a giant pain in the ass and waste of money. The left rear axle, when on a hoist can be moved around easily by hand. With the car unable to legally drive, I need to get it towed to toyota and get them to re-do the job. lovely!

There are a bunch of other small things they complained about, like the parking brake handle taking too many clicks (toyota says 5-8 and my car takes 7) so I am not done wrenching yet.

old cars are just wonderful.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
7 clicks is within 5-8...
I am curious to know what they said about the Bruëllen?

And I think theses inspectors have a personnel challenge to always find at least one defect... :-\

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I am curious to know what they said about the Bruëllen?
The appraiser said "very nice" and the shop said they watched the tow truck driver drive the tips into their gravel driveway. How fantastic is that?

You wouldn't believe half the stuff on the list, Jocelyn. It's going to be a joy fixing it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Fantastic job with the car!!! :thumbsup:

There are a bunch of other small things they complained about, like the parking brake handle taking too many clicks (toyota says 5-8 and my car takes 7) so I am not done wrenching yet.

old cars are just wonderful.
After reading this, I checked my car's parking brake this morning... I think I got at least 10 clicks when I pulled it today!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk2

·
Registered
27 Posts
So maybe the preload thing is an issue, but wtf, too many clicks in the ebrake? If it engages its good! Ask them how they determined that. A friend of mine restored a mid 70's chevy truck and they wouldn't let it pass because of 1 thing... the horn wasn't loud enough. Brand new, OEM remake horn because the other one was dead from sitting so long, and it wasn't loud enough. Didn't even use a decibel meter. Just said it was too quiet. Some inspectors need to be slapped.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Appraisal came in at $6000. Lower than I had hoped but I suppose the fact it has 360,000km is a driving factor regardless of its mechanical and cosmetc condition. I would have liked to had it insured for 9000 to feel a bit more comfortable, but at least I can get insurance now. Next year I can qualify for classic car insurance and will switch to agreed value coverage.

Imo 6000 would not get me a car that looks and drives this good. It would be upsetting if I had a total loss. I better not put it in a ditch!

Again, thank you all for your compliments and support!

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I will give you a big Brownie point for putting the hatch sticker in the right spot :thumbsup: I can't believe so many people get that wrong. BTW if it was me I'd paint the flat black again on the bottom of the rear bumper. Also across the lower radiator support where you can see thru the bumper.
Haha yeah, I was an offending person for years mainly because I didn't know any better in '03 but it is still a bit surprising to me that everybody gets so bent out of shape about the placement. I guess something to keep in mind is that I am not a 100% purist when it comes to trivial stuff. The same goes for the lower bumper paint. It just isn't a concern of mine, although I did consider it, it is more effort that would not make me enjoy the car anymore than I do now.

Thanks for the suggestions though, tips are always welcome... just everybody is a bit different :)

101 - 120 of 120 Posts