Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the 2jz be wire up to run without wire splicing the harness? or is it just the power wires to get it power to work? wanting to do swap cuz 5m just did not cut it power wize. i can get a complete 2jz for 1200 bucks but do i have to run the wires for the computer to my existing harness? i just want to plug and play don't really care how it looks. can i run a standalone without the stock computer? :?:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes you can run a standalone ECU, and that's probably the simplest option is you can afford it. It also gives you maximum flexibility for future mods, and you don't have to worry about stuff like factory boost cut.

The 2JZ engine harness is nothing like the 5M harness. The 5M is basically a discrete bunch of wires which goes between the ECU and the engine, so you just add 12 volts and it runs. The 2JZ is a completely different kettle of fish as the engine harness is integrated with just about everything else. To give you some idea, when I pulled my front cut apart I found 11 computer modules attached to the harness, and I had to remove all but one. That involved tracing hundreds of wires to find out what went where - a rather time-consuming task!

You could just throw the entire harness in the car and leave the excess stuff dangling, but the excess wiring I stripped from my harness was enough to fill the back of my Supra...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey norbie

i just don't wan to do that 1000 wire trace job. can i buy just the 2jz say with out the complete front cut, than run a standalone to opperate the engine without messing with the harness already inplace? and with out needing the modules or emissions? see i have seen this site with engines complete but its not the front cut it's just the motor and turbos. needs sonthing its sopose to be easy swap motors, so i thought i could place in my mk2 and run a standalone? not needing the harness but to run the injection system etc... if thats possible i will make the switch asap. i mean i don't want to splice wires except for the and alternator thats it. let me know what you think? before i do anything else

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
just run a full stand alone... it is worth the trouble for you have a big margin to work on if ever you want to upgrade your motor for turbo/nos/ or any other way to make power and adding more power to your ride...

the cheapest stand alone I have seen is the Simple Digital System for 1500 and they work... I have seen this set-up on my friends turbo Omni and the set-up is endless... this is the set-up I am gonna be running on my turbo MK2

BTW... there is a guy also runnig this set-up on him highlt modified tube chassis Charger running a 4 cylinder with a huge turbo and he runs 9 sec passes all day long

Jay

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes a standalone will work fine and it will be much easier, but don't skimp and buy a cheap system for your 2JZ. What's the point of having a kick-ass engine if you hobble it with a crappy ECU? Get something decent like a Haltech or Autronic, or something in that league anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hate me?

well i have a small block chevy i am going to swap in instead now. won't cost me nothing but time, and i have twin turbos for it so 2jz went out the window sorry. i love the supras but i've been waiting for parts from japan for 2 months for my tranny don't like the wait time it's rediculus. anyway still using the mk2 because of its looks and suspension. but 600 horse on pump gas with lots of torque just gets me every time. i will keep in touch though on its voyage to man hood. should only be a couple of weeks will post some pics before and after for comparison and notes to other chevy junkys thinking of such ideas. :?

·
Registered
164 Posts
did you the chevy engine swap ???

sorry I heard about your accident . .. hope your well and ur wife of course . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts