Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was using some gun bluing liquid last night when I thought of a good use for it on a Supra.

Stainless bolts can be expensive, and cleaning up the stock bolts will make them look nice for about a month before they start to look like shite. So a good alternative would be to use bluing agent. You can pick this stuff up at any gun shop for about $10, and it goes a very long way. I used 44/40 (brand) and it works real well on gun stuff.

For anyone not knowing what bluing is, its the black color on most non chromed, non stainless steel guns. The color is almost black (has a slight blue, but barely noticable). It is a chemical reaction with the metal surface. This makes it more wear resistant than plating or painting/powdercoating.

All you have to do is wire wheel any crap (paint, coating, etc) off the metal, then scruff up a bit with some emery cloth, and then liberally apply some bluing liquid to it. It will turn black immediately. Wipe off the excess and you have some nice black bolts that wont come off when you put a socket on it. Give multiple coats if needed to get uniform color. Better than rusty nasty bolts.

Christian

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
thanks for the tip, i can think of a few bolts that are going to get blued :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, this might not be such a good idea. I left a couple parts I blued in the garage, where it was humid, overnight without oil coating, and it got yucky layer of kaka on it. I'ma have to play with this idea some more. Don't try it yet.

Christian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts