Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 cressida, factory 5 speed lsd, reaching 300k miles
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it matters what position the jiggle valve goes at? The little hole in the thermostat. Someone told me once that theres Manufacturer specs for which “o’clock” position it goes at but I’m not too sure.

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
It always goes in the up position i.e. the direction air goes in water.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
12 o clock. The top. Always.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve also seen here that OE temp is 190 or 195c, when I look on the autozone website it states that 180° is the OE temp and that’s the highest temp they carry. Can I run a 180 and be safe?

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
FYI 88C is equal to 190F for OEM Toyota Cressida Celica Corolla Corona Supra part # 90916-03078

I would stay with the OEM temp recommendation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI 88C is equal to 190F for OEM Toyota Cressida Celica Corolla Corona Supra part # 90916-03078

I would stay with the OEM temp recommendation.
Not sure if anyone’s got an answer for me, a point in the right direction would be very helpful.
My air conditioning blows steam
I’m thinking I have a pinhole in the heater core or something.
When the fan speed is at OFF, visible steam comes through the vents and fogs up the windows really bad, and when I turn the fan speed on high I get a whiff of coolant.
Also, even if the fan is off, when I put my foot in the skinny pedal I also get a smack in the nostrils of coolant.
I’ve tried coolant system fix leak, but it just keeps fogging up my windows and its getting very annoying.

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
Heater core is probably leaking. The only part of the system that has coolant inside the car is the heater core. Are the carpets wet on the passenger side up by where you feet go. That's usually a good sign. The best part is its a really fun job to fix :devilish:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heater core is probably leaking. The only part of the system that has coolant inside the car is the heater core. Are the carpets wet on the passenger side up by where you feet go. That's usually a good sign. The best part is its a really fun job to fix :devilish:
Yeah I am well aware of the annoying job it is. The difficulty for me is finding one for a cressida, there’s one website that I found called the wrench monkey that offers an 83 cressida heater core but it’s just the rad looking part, none of the piping. There’s also plenty for sale for cressidas w/0 a/c. Not sure if they’re actually any different between cars.
there’s also 0 cressidas at picknpull’s near me

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Take yours out and take it to a radiator shop they can recore it because it's soldered brass.

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
I'm gonna take a guess and say a radiator shop isn't going to be very competitive price wise vs the 71 dollar one on rock auto... There's a reason most radiator shops went out of business.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna take a guess and say a radiator shop isn't going to be very competitive price wise vs the 71 dollar one on rock auto... There's a reason most radiator shops went out of business.
I was gonna say I already looked, but then I realized I kept looking in the engine cooling section, and not the heat/ac section. Gonna call my bad on that one. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It'll be a lot better quality to get it rebuilt if you can find a place. If you want to spend some extra cash to not take out your dash.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It'll be a lot better quality to get it rebuilt if you can find a place. If you want to spend some extra cash to not take out your dash.
Well if I get it rebuilt I need to take my dash apart anyways right?
I don’t care about cost for this, I wanna be able to drive around in this 28° weather with my windows up and them not be foggy as hell.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
No I mean less chance of needing to do it again in 2 years when the chinesium heater core starts to piss coolant all over your carpets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts