Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my thermostat, and I'm wondering what temp you guys have had the best luck with. I was just going to drop in a OEM temp (195*), but if something else works better, I'm game. Stock N/A 5M-GE. Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sorry Black Dawg that i cant help you with your question, because i have the exact same question.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Interesting....Do the different year MKII's have different stock OEM thermostats? ie: do they run different temp t-stats?

I just bought a new one for my 83 Toyota P/N: 90916-03078 which is 88*C which is 190*F not 195*F. This is the third thermostat I've gotten from Toyota and all 3 have been the same part number and temp rating.

Now I'm curious what temp our cars really are supposed to run at?

Leslie

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I bought is from Napa, so I'm not so sure how "OEM" the temp actually is. Anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

·
3,283 Posts
I've heard most people say use a Toyota T-stat.

I used an Autozone one once and had problems, forked over the cash and bought one from Toyota and haven't had any trouble out of it since...

Mike

·
Registered
791 Posts
I use a Stant Superstat, think it was a 175˚F thermostat. Seems that if its too cold of a thermostat, the water will not have enough time to transfer its heat while in the radiator, so you can actually damage the engine just as much as having one that's too hot by having the engine cycling thru cool and hot cycles as the water flows thru. Dodge 360ci engines are famous for this problem when folks change to a low temp thermostat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use 180ºC from Advance Auto and clipped of the nipple and didn't have any problems with it even with a turbo on my 6M and I use Toyota Glycol (Anti Freeze), my temp gauge is almost at the middle... so it runs a little cooler than before...

: 8) really like the red color of the antifreeze 8) :

·
Registered
272 Posts
A lower temperature thermostat will cause the ECU to always think that the engine is below operating temperature, and thus it will bump up the fuel delivery a little bit. This could help in cars that have airflow mods, but will definitely reduce mileage.

I ran a 180 degree thermostat for a while in my old engine, and never had heat problems. If you swap one in, just keep an eye on the temp gauge for a while. If the water isn't having enough time to dump the heat as it passes through the radiator, you will definitely see it on the gauge.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking I'll just run the 195* that I have and call it good then.

·
Registered
793 Posts
This is interesting, because when I overheated, and replaced the thermo (heard that they can stick after overheating) I put a 180 in mine and Im now having problems, though its probably not the cause of them, Im sure it doesnt help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is somewhat dependant on where you live, what the best thermostat will be. A lot of us here in lotusland (BC) take the thermostats right out in summer. In winter, I use the 195 F one Cdn tire sells, just cause its the cheapest thing there. I thought that was the replacement for stock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
MK2Racer, what type of problems?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts