Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just brainstorming at the moment, but Im seriously considering shipping my Blupra out west for one of the significant Japanese car shows. The two Im aware of are JCCS in Irvine and the TORC All-Toyota fest in Long Beach. I know one is held in the Spring, the other in the Fall.

From written reviews and photoblogs, it appears the JCCS is on a grand scale and has a bigger turnout overall.... obviously as its a multi-marque event. I may be wrong, but it also seems to be more of a tuner or rather a mod centric crowd.

Would my mostly stock car be unappreciated/overlooked at the JCCS show?

Would it be better received at TORC?

Being on the east coast, I cant seem to get a true feel for either show, and Id appreciate some local insight.

Are there any other similar shows Im overlooking?

This will probably be a once in a lifetime occasion for me, and having my Supe on the west coast for a few days wld be a dream come true, especially exercising her along the PCH and canyon passes up near Sully-ville.

Im picturing a spirited blast thru Malibu Cyn with all the SoCal mk2 boys... sound good to you guys?

DEF35

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I drove down to TORC in Long Beach this year. It was a real nice event, and not everyone was 23 - a reasonable number of adults, but there were a lot of newer Toyotas (Scions etc). They did a good job of keeping the old school cars together, and there was a good showing. If you make it, allow enough time to drive up the coast to Northern California, and San Francisco area.

Steve

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Greg:

I brought my '85 to TORC Fest this year. There were only three Mk2s in the show. The cars that seemed to get the most attention were the Scions....lots and lots of them, all modified - and the really old cars (like the Toyopet and older Land Cruisers, the GTs, etc.). It's a decent show but I wouldn't think it's worth the time/effort and cash to bring your car all the way out here (though you'd definitely win the prize for longest-distance).

Despite the fact that it's put on by the Toyota Owners' and Restorers' Club, beautifully maintained "stock" cars like your blue beast are underappreciated, IMHO.

I've never been to JCCS, unfortunately. This year it was held the same weekend that I was in Vegas for the BikeFest. Seamus went, you might want to talk to him about it.

If you DO decide to make the trip, let me know - you can crash here if you want (though it's about 60mi to Long Beach from here). I'll probably enter one of my cars in the show next year, we could drive down together. And, of course, we could have a little fun in the twisties around here. Dave Shepherd isn't far off, I'm sure he'd love to take you for a spin in his 2JZ monster.

Bob

BTW, love the pictures you've been posting. I wish I had the time to shoot more pictures, it's about the only creative talent I have.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
If you fuckers actually make it out I will make it a point to be there too :D Good thing Bob has a big place with lotsa couches :p

JCCS vs TORCFest. This is an easy one for me. I've driven down for both in the past and don't regret attending either show, both are phenominal. Obviously there are alot more Toyotas at TORC and to answer your question, a stock mk2 would probably be better recieved at TORC as there are alot more stock and orignal cars in attendance, but as I said in the other thread you'll get lotsa love at both shows.

However, JCCS is hands down the better show for the old school Japanese enthusiast. Literally half or more of the attendees of TORQFest are Lexus, newer model toyotas and Scions. The Lexus and newer model Toyota guys are mildly entertaining as they are true auto enthusiasts and have lotsa cash to dump into their cars, so looking at their stuff is alright (though you can find the same shit at any show in NA). The Scion guys are another matter. If you've never been to a Scion meet (and really why would you have been) then you may be in for a shock. These are not car enthusiats. They are regular joes who have been sold on the illusion that anybody can buy a Scion and easily "customize" it themselves. Its like a little league ball game with that crowd. They bring out their kids and family, high five each other, wear team shirts and cheer each other on while the rest of the auto enthusiasts look at them and scratch their heads. And unfortuantly half the cars there are Scions, most of them being Xbs. I mean really, how many Xbs with rims, stereos and body kits do you want to see? Its a real odd clash of people at TORCFest.

JCCS on the other hand, is nothing but old school goodness, 400+ pre 86 cars. I love Toyotas but seeing old school Datsuns, Mazdas, Mitsus and Hondas is awesome too, and certainly beats the piss out of Lexi and Scions. And the crowd gels much better, its all real auto enthusiats. The location is fine for JCCS, though the Queen Mary park is very scenic (I don't think its big enough for JCCS though). But if that hasn't sold you, the kicker is JCCS is always either the weekend of, before or after SILV! Hopefully it won't be on the weekend of on the year you come down as you may have to skip the dyno day or something to boot it back to LA, but killing a week in SoCal is very easy so if you can combine the two shows in one trip DO IT!

When I came down for TORCFest the Toyota museum was displaying some of their cars but also opened the doors to the museum to the show attendees after the show. They didn't do that at JCCS last year because apparently they had too many cars at the show. I don't know if thats how they do it every year or not, but I highly recomend taking in the museum if you can. They may let you in during the week, I'm not sure. I'm sure we could get the Supra guys together and book a viewing while you guys are down if its not going to be open after the show.

But to sum up, for such long trip, I would pick JCCS over TORCFest every time. More interesting cars to see, better crowd, better facilities, can tie it in with SILV and better weather at that time of year. Cali gets "May Gray" in the spring and the coast overcasts and cools off. We tried to hit the beach while there and were quite disappointed, though it can be a little cooler in October it usually seems to be clear at least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts