Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first "official" post, so go easy on me. Anyhoo, I am decidedly not a car person, but it's not because I don't want to be. I had the pleasure to be in the company of one Mr. Mike Malloy and my dashing fiance Bob last night in Old City Philly, and I felt that on behalf of struggling spouses everywhere I had to post this message. Now, I say struggling because I struggle to understand the facination/obsession that Bob has with his car. To me it is merely "GASP" a mode of transportation :shocked!: . I am afraid to go really fast, and I like cars that are pretty (although I do now know the difference between rice and race).

Sooo...here's my post to let all of your nagging girlfriends (as I once was) read when you are locked under the hood with that wild look in your eyes. After listening to Mike and Bob talk "car, car, car" all night I finally caught a glimpse into your wierd little world. It's more than just making your cars go fast or a machismo issue...it's kinda a comrodery/self improvement/pride thing. And most importantly, it makes you happy.

While now I probably will still look like a deer caught in the headlights of a car when they are rambilng off things like torque, fuel injection, and "owning" someone or something (still don't get that one), I will never stand in the way of him being happy. I do get jealous of the "other woman" from time to time, but in the long run I think your little community is pretty tight and very cool.

That's it, I'm done. Back to hitting the books. All I ask is that if I ever meet anyone else from the car community, don't laugh at me too much. I'm still learning.

~Michelle :dancin:

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
We all had to start some place, no one is born with this knowledge. So it's cool.

Too bad some of us, including me, don't have girlfriends that understand our obsession with cars.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
My (now ex) girlfriend shut my door with her shoe...

Needless to say, she didn't understand my obsession either.

We seperated due to that fight.

"Its just a car."
"But you kicked it!"
"So!?"
"You kicked it!"
"I didn't even, maybe pushed it with my foot."
"Kicked my car!"

--BillyM

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
My hat is off to you Michelle 8) My wife has put up with my "engine" obsession for over 20 years.She even understands about 1/2 of what we are saying now :shock: She also,does not like the speed,and really doesn't want to hear about out "antics" while out "testing" the car. :roll: But,also knows it makes me happy,so sits back and just tells me not to tell the whole story,when we go play :wink:

Bob,keep this one,tough to find a woman like that :!:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'll send a link to this post to my wife. She understands to a degree and even is pretty supportive.

Best thing you can do, Michelle, is to realize that if it makes Bob happy and it's constructive then you should support him in it wholeheartedly.
-Chris

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Gee, have you got a SISTER, Michelle? 8)

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
*bleep* Supraforums mode *bleep*

Enough talk, more pics!

*bleep* Supraforums mode *bleep*

Uhh... Just Kidding.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Michelle,

I'm surprised you feel this way after meeting Mike Malloy. I would have thought that would scare you away from the Supra crowd BIG-TIME! J/K Mikey, LOL!

My girlfriend is pretty supportive of my obsession with Supras too. She likes my newly acquired race-car, but she doesn't really want to hear all the "go-fast" stories either.

Hey, are you coming up to the Toronto meet? I've got some space reserved for Bob at my house, if he's coming up....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My wife liked my car when it was plain old stock. When I began modding it she couldn't understand. So one day I asked her to drive it for herself :shock: .

Needless to say. She is almost as much of a supraholic as I am now :D
She talks the lingo and gets as excited as I do when someone pulls up to the red light and revs the engine.

When I get my MKIV she said she wants the MKII 4 herself :)

My wife is the best.

Later

·
Registered
790 Posts
My girlfriend is the same way; I eventually went out of my way to help her get a car so I could have my Supra back. The biggest issue with modding it around her is that she will want to drive it first :D (just got lucky there, I guess). There are times when I think she is more of a car junkie then I am... of course, then I realize that about 80-90% of the conversations I have with friends are car related (I think car geek would be a better term for what I've become; lost of knowledge, but only a little experience)...

PS, Michelle, congrats on the 1st post and learning the car obession; its really nice when people in general try to understand this special sort of craziness we "car people" are afflicted with :wink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
i think my ex-girlfriend left me because i loved my supra more than her. but she kept abusing the supra saying it's ugly, and that it's a piece of shit. lol i yelled at her pretty badly lol then i was girl less lol. but it was worth it she don't wanna be supportive for the cause of supra's o well not my loss lol.

congrats to 1st post!!!! and for understanding his obsession lol. just don't take him from it lol. hehehe. congrats!!!!!!!

Dan

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Thanks Dean :fruit: ;)

We didnt talk 'car car car' all night......I promise :mrgreen:

Michelle did like when the geek in the black mk3 VW revved on me and cut me off like a rookie...then at the traffic light I teased him asking if he had a turbo (it pulled away like a yugo when he floored it)

How about the other geek on the scooter? LOL Its always an adventure with me I guess.....sheesh.

Dean said:
Michelle]I'm surprised you feel this way after meeting Mike Malloy. I would have thought that would scare you away from the Supra crowd BIG-TIME! J/K Mikey, LOL!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Sooo...here's my post to let all of your nagging girlfriends (as I once was) read when you are locked under the hood with that wild look in your eyes. After listening to Mike and Bob talk "car, car, car" all night I finally caught a glimpse into your wierd little world. It's more than just making your cars go fast or a machismo issue...it's kinda a comrodery/self improvement/pride thing. And most importantly, it makes you happy.

~Michelle :dancin:
I had a nagging fiance' once (till mid January). And well, wouldn't you know it...my Mk2 is the ONLY female in my life (now).

Sux that she doesn't put out, but I have control of her go fast pedal and when I'm sick of her crap...the ignition key works good too.

(shut up Malloy...no "Sidman's dry humping his Supra again" jokes)

____

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You know that icon looks like it's an ankle-biter more than a leg-humper. :?

Food for thought for the admins. ;)
-Chris ...thread hijacker

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Hi Michelle, Thanks for posting here as well.

My GF Bonnie has pretty much discovered & accepted my little obsession/hobby w/ the Supras. She's slowly understanding that it also makes me quite happy, along w/ the fact that it helps me understand my own car better & by coincidence, I'm able to explain things about her own car at times & how things work (she is also in the Toyota family & has a 92 Camry LE, her Mom has a 93 Camry LE V6). 2 examples come to mind here.

About a month ago, she just had a BIG 4 wheel brake overhaul done (car has 102K on it & owned since new). It has had brake work done to it in the past but this time during a long 300 mile trip, she felt the brake pedal sinking to the floor a few times. Turns out she needed new brake pads & shoes (for the rear drums), AND the main cause of the sinking pedal was a HOLE in the right front brake hose!!! YIKES... Anywho, after we started dating, I went ahead & made the big purchase, by buying the 92 Camry TSRM's for the engine & chassis. She wanted to know what the front & rear brake components looked like, so I whipped out the TSRM's & showed her the overall parts diagrams for the front disk & rear drum brake setups. So now, she has a pretty good understanding of how the brake system works.

Example 2. Due to a slight booboo/contact done to one of her doors during the same trip by one of my friends (those of you who went to the Baxters meet know what happened), she took the car in for a paint estimate. Apparently sometime in the past, the car had been involved in another minor fender bender & she had the repairwork done at MAACO.... Yikes.... I then had to explain to her on this most recent episode of paintwork as to why the bodyshop NOW has to undo the screwups/mistakes that Maaco did earlier to get the paint job done correctly. And to now AVOID Maaco & Earl Sheib paintshops in the future.

As of now, she is "slowly but surely" becoming a Supraholic & understands my hobby better. She now just about has all of the years memorized for all 4 Gen's for the US Spec Supra's, has been in both the Slug & the Redpra, has had a ride in Keith Hart's 89T MKIII, but still has not had a ride in a MKIV yet....

And.... After 9 months of dating, in preperation for the PacNW Nationals this weekend, I finally let her drive my 81 MKI. The Redpra is going to be next & this is where my patience is going to be tested.... Yep, she does not know how to drive a stick.... Will be looking for a very large empty parking lot...... Yeah I know, find another car that she can practice on... Wish that were possible at the moment...

So again, I thank you on your first posting & understanding our little obsession/hobby that we have. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts