Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a coated thorley and a 2.5" cat. Anyone know of a good place with a good price to get them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go to www.thorleyheaders.com and click the dealers link. You have a boat load of dealers in California. Try that on the East Coast, and you are very limited. They are worth it, and run cooler than the stock setup as far as I can tell. I got my Cat. from the local speed shop (90 miles away) that sold me the header and built my 2.5" stainless steel exhaust. You will have to grind a small amount of metal off of the power steering bracket to get it to fit, easily done with a Dremel with the barrel type grind wheel.Take a long look at the beautiful headers just out of the box, they will turn to a dull pewter color with heat.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright,
Does anyone know of where to get a 2.5" cat with flanges to fit an 85. Doesn't Random Tech have one for $$$. Will and old MKIII T cat bolt up to the thorley?? I have one of those I can gut!

·
Registered
793 Posts
LOL! You said gut the cat!!!

Seriously though, just take any cat into an exhaust shop and they'll weld on a 2½" flange for ya! I decided to do a "test pipe" for mine, if you find the right shop they'll set you all up for one. This way you can bolt the cat in when you want to be quiet and less stinky, while being able to run straight back to the muffler when you like! Swapping them takes about 5 minutes with a floor jack(or them plastic ramps like I use, just put the ramps on one side of the vehicle and drive backwards!)...
Just a thought...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a reply from Thorley. Ceramic coated 530Y is $512 if I pick it up. I hope for all that it includes sales tax!! :shock: I need to call around to see how much difference in price there is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Those are not the ceramic coated headers George , and that would be a mistake unless you want them to rust and have heat problems. THY-530Y-C is the model he wants. If I remember correctly, the coating is about $90, but I think I paid less than $512 on the East coast. I did buy mine when they just started ceramic coating, so the price may have gone up. Check out some of their listed dealers. They would get them at a discounted price, and they may be less expensive that way . Even at $512 the coated headers are worth it IMHO, but I have never heard anyone include sales tax in a quote.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thorley themselves does the ceramic coating? How is the quality; excellent, good, fair, poor? Is it worth buying the headers already coated or would it be better to buy them naked and have an outside shop do the coating? Better quality or would it be the same no matter who does it?

Behold! The power of beer.
Scott

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe Thorley does the coating or has someone close to the factory do the coating since you can order the header from Thorley coated. I don't know the quality but I got quoted $512.00 from pro max plus shipping which is cheaper than tax here in CA. I'll probably be getting them from Pro Max.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts