Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Toyota mechanic said my car runs a tad on the lean side anyway and recommended against putting a Thorley header on it unless there was a way to adjust the A/F. I don't think this is a problem on '83 and newer cars with ECU's running TCCS.

I don't think my car's ECU is smart enough to make adjustments. (And I hope I don't sound like an idiot with this post). What do you guys think? Is anyone running headers on a stock '82 car with good results?

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I'm sure you will get a bunch of responses on this one. If more than one member agrees with your mechanic's opinion, I'd be surprised :)

How did your mechanic come up with this assessment? At idle? Dyno? Datalog on street? Reading the plugs?

There are a number of ways to slightly richen up your a/f mixture, but first you must determine if you are really all that lean to begin with. I'd tend to agree a header could lean your mixture slightly, but I highly doubt it would be significant enough to be concerned.

Others?

Don L.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm with Frank and Don. If, it is running that lean, source some 210cc injectors, or install an adj. FPR and up the pressure ... you get the idea. There are more than enough of us here to come up with ideas :)

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Steve, if you need one to "test" I have one that is uncoated...in the garage. Might give me a reason to have it coated...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AJ, keep tempting me!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Steve,

I have run a Doug Thorley header on my car for years with absolutely no problem... Well, that is almost true!

Actually, I did notice that with the stock DT header my ECU was not reading the air/fuel ratio properly. I later found out that this was due to the fact that the O2 sensor bung was too long and as a result, the O2 sensor was not in the exhaust stream. Once I shortened the exhaust bung the car has run perfect, with perfect AFR's.

P.S. My header was coated, which helped with under-hood temps...

Regards,

Carlos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts