Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its friday night 12:00am and im goin home from work. not far from my job, i have to drive on this one street that is used for streetracing. btw, street racing is pretty much non-existent in san diego. so as i make a left on to that street, a cop was makin a right into it. my thoughts..."damnit my ass is gonna get pulled over cuz i aint got no front plate". so the cop gets behind me and halfway down the street, he hits the lights and siren. ANYWAYS...cop popped my hood and asked if the header was legal, showed him the thorley sticker and it was all good. i thought i was gonna get a ticket for my rabidchimp intake and KN filter cuz i had no CARB sticker for that, but the cop said that the intake looked like it was legal. how he determined that, i have no idea. cop was real cool about everything and i just ended up getting a fix it ticket for my front plate.

so my thought of the night is when did cops become less strict than the smog guys? i had to remove my header and intake before the smog guys would touch my car.

oh...does anyone have that metal piece that holds the front license plate bracket to the underside on the front fascia?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Good old Kalifornia. :roll:

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Bad luck, guy. My '84 has never had the front plate mounted...and I've never been pulled over for it. And I've never had a cop ask me to pop the hood, either.

Yeah, I'll probably have to put all the stock intake plumbing back on before I get my cars smogged the next time 'round. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Let me put your minds at ease boys....

I live in Fresno, California. Back in November 2002, I had to take my car to a test-only station (that random deal where they take a percentage of the cars out there and make them go to a place with more strict testing).

The guy was totally cool, and I have a Rabid Chimp intake pipe and open element air filter on the car. His exact words were, "The intake you have on the car right now, filter included, is probably a more sound and sealed induction system than what came on the car originally."

He explained to me that just because it's not OEM, a smog station isn't going to fail it during the "visual inspection". Actually, he backed the car onto the rollers, did the test and was very impressed with the numbers he saw, for a 20 year old car.

So, don't worry about taking your intake and filter off the car for your next test....in California it's not an issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It may not be an issue to the refs and such who really know what these parts can do for emmissions but otherwise it's a problem, especially for headers. The first time after I got my pacesetter headers I had to go through 4 different smog shops before I found a guy who would overlook them and just test my emmisions. Noone wanted to touch my car since there were two or three smog shops closed down for doing illegal smog checks and such in the past few years.

I've been pulled over 3 times for not having my front plate AND having a smoke tinted back license plate cover, but no fix-it ticket yet. They just tell me to put it on or next time they'd give me one.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Up here in Alberta we only get one plate. Some one figured out that they could charge the same price for one as two and double the profit. I dont mind at all :)

-Wil

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
we dont have smog checks either, which is good and bad.

for 90% of us, we dont need them, then you get the jerks who dont maintain their vehicles and puff out clouds of death as they roll down the highway. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts