Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's a really stupid embarassing thing I did. I do these types of things alot so it's no shock to me. I know basic engine stuff but I'm no mechanic. I can take things apart and put them together good, used to do it as a little kid with my parents vacuums and drills, lol.

Since my friend is still working on my alternator I decided to take things off, clean them, paint them, and just clean up around in the engine. So far it's looking alot better than before and nicer. I took off the throttle body and decided I'd give it a clean. It's near black inside and full of junk. I got some carb cleaner and was going to clean it. After taking it off I started to undo the throttle sensor (mistake), after almost done with the second screw I then read it and say to myself "throttle sensor, I shouldn't play with this", and then It comes loose :oops:. I realize there are notches in the bracket showing that I shouldn't have moved it. Ugh.

Now I'm wondering. Is this going to be hard to put back in the right position? If it's off a bit will that cause much of a problem or something? If so how would I fix it in the right position?

While I'm in there would there be any benefit at all to cleaning further? like inside the intake plenum or anything? It's near black in there as well, or would it make no difference whatsoever if it's dirty or not.
also while I'm doing stuff is there anything else I should watch for or shouldn't tamper with? lol, I'd hate to do another one of these.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
first of all i would like to welcome you to the club of "maybe I shouldnt of done that club" :lol:

I did the same thing like a year ago. But I didnt actually take it out. I just moved around the TPS and put my car back together. Then i noticed that my timming was way off. The notch was sitting right down the middle of the Harmonic Balancer. After asking around, one year later someone actually answeres my question with "move the TPS." I moved the TPS and TA DA..... its back to normal :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I'm relieved I'm not the only one that's done this, lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The TSRM explains how to set the TPS with a mulitmeter and some feeler gauges. It just takes some tweeking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts