Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No idle pully.. Well yesterday i threw out my throttle pully for my timing belt.... i must say it wasn't the most pleasant sound ever i thought i was gonna throw a rod, but luckily i found out what it was instead of rebuilding my motor. But anyways would throwing a bearing screw anything up besides what ceasing it up?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't a muffler bearing? :crazyeye:

Do you mean the tensioner pulley bearing? That can just plain wear out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yeah the idle pully bearing, aka idle pully as it says in the haynes manual. But yeah it just spun its self right off the bearing

·
Registered
733 Posts
OK, never heard that term. Usually they give fair warning before they fail catastrophically. Must have been grinding for a while?

I usually change them when the belt gets changed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no grinding... it just blew out without any sign... my mistake i was calling it a throttle pully when its a idle pully

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I had the very same thing happen once. No pre-failure warning sounds at all. The correct name is "timing belt tensioner" although the tensioner does serve as an idler as well. :roll:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
There is a very good reason why we say to change this everytime you replace your timing belt!!!!

This pulley is basically nothing more than a big giant sealed bearing... Eventually over time, the grease inside dries up, mostly from constant usage & heat. When the grease dries up, the pulley gets noisy.. If it stays like this long enough w/ no grease, then the pulley will eventually will seize!!!! Am betting this is what happened.

The other scenario, is when one of the timing belt pulley seals (crank, oil pump driveshaft, or 1 of the camshaft ones) is leaking oil like a sieve. All of that hot oil flying around in the timing belt housing will get inside the pulley & dissolve all of the packed grease. Pulley eventually seize's, due to lack of lubrication. Almost had this happen the 2nd time my front seals started leaking & soaked the timing belt w/ oil. The belt only lasted about 30K miles. The pulley did not seize, but if you spun it, it was one NOISY MOFO.... All the grease inside of it had dissolved.

So yes, replace the pulley on every timing belt change... AND replace the pulley tension spring as well, the spring will lose tension eventually.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
what kind of noise does a bad pulley make? I have an irritating tapping noise that I cannot seem to diagnose. It isn't any valves, the noise seems to be louder in the front/middle of the engine, but we could only guyess maybe the water pump bearings were on there way out. My noise is a high pitched tapping which gets faster when the engine revs faster. I'm pretty sure it's not a bearing either, b/c it's not lous by the oil pan either. BUT My oil galley has been leaking badly and I was thining maybe it finally friend that pulley? But I need to know what noise that pulley makes when it is bad TY

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Noise???

Grab a old roller skate wheel or a skateboard wheel that does not have any lubrication on it whatsoever.... Or never had any to begin with.... Spin it.... Notice the noise?? Multiple that times 3 (obviously the pulley is 2 - 3X the size of your average skateboard wheel).

However..... Don't expect to easily hear it!!!!!!! Especially if you have the motor running & the timing belt covers are on. Those 2 items alone will muffle the noise of a dying idler pulley.

About the only thing you can do to inspect the idler pulley, is to take the timing belt cover off, undo the tension spring & spin the pulley.

The pulley that was dying on me, I purchased it brand NEW from Toyota!! Took it out of the box when I got it home & spun the pulley. Nice & quiet & hard to turn, because it was full w/ grease. 30K miles later, when the oil from my leaky timing belt seals dissolved the grease, I was able to spin it somewhat easily, but it sounded like a bearing inside a worn bearing race that had no lubrication whatsoever... No longer quiet. Lack of lubrication will start to cause wear inside the bearing race & if there is enough heat build-up.... that 1 pulley will go ka-boom..

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
ugh, ok well then my pulley is OK, this noise I hear very distinctly over the engine,it's not too loud, but loud enough, and I've ran the engine before w/ no timing cover, no noise from that area. Hopefully the noise will magically disappear this weekend :?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does it sound like the lifters are sticking or are a little low on oil, but they aren't. Carbon knock sometimes sounds like sticking lifters. Wait... do you guys even use hydraulic lifters? Anyway, if you lift your valve cover and have any black sludge that isn't oil, then you may have carbon.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
The noise isn't coming from the valve covers, you cannot hear it when you put your ear to the end of a screwdriver and test it. Besides, when my head was mashed, I bled the lifters repeatedly, so it's almost a guarantee they don't stick, that engine is definitly an oiler. I know this from taking the covers off and running the engine for a minute and making sure the lifters were ok, My face thinks it oils fine, LOL :oops:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Do you hear sort of a clack-clack-clack like sound that gets faster or goes away as you speed up the engine? Check the crank pulley and timing belt drive sprocket keyways. Sounds like your timing belt drive sprocket could be the culprit.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
I'll be checking everything this weekend when I pull the guts out, it's more of a tapping sound, sounds very much like tapping valve, yet it's not coming from there, but I'll be sure to check out the keyways, thanks!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Check the crankshaft pulley bolt and see if it's loose. If it is, torque the bolt to spec. and see if the tapping goes away or gets quieter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh no

The grinding noise has been minimal lately but when i got on the highway today getting the motor rapped out alittle bit some bad stuff happened. Well the noise started happened constantly even when i wasn't under loads. And i was bearly accelerating even when floored. And 4th gear about 4,000 rps my motor cut out and just died. Now when im stopped the car shakes violently and drives REALLY ruff

Found out when i got home that there was a scary amount of oil in it and that one of my pistons wasn't firing.... what happened

·
Registered
655 Posts
re:

Anybody know of a cheap place to get new idler pulleys? They are pretty expensive parts around here anyways.

Sonny

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
OK to follow up on that last post ( months and months later ) that tapping noise WAS a bad keyway in both my crank pulley and the the timing pulley behind it. chewed up the end of the crank pretty bad which got replaced w/ the cylinder head....

NOW I have another annoying noise coming from that general area but it isn't the same, we're guessing it's the idler pulley ( tensioner ) but aren't really sure yet. I'm thinking of loosening up the belt and spinning it by hand to see if it makes the noise but wanted to get opinions on here as well.
It's a clackclakclackclack noise and it comes and goes, sometimes you can't hear it all all, other times it's loud as a mofo, you can hear it while driving but not as much at idle. At 1st I thought it might have been my oil pump, because I had a low oil pressure, but I fixed that today w/ some decent 20w50 ( don't EVER use HESS oil! it has the viscosity of water!!! )
So basically is the only way to check this to spin it by hand? And if for some reason that is OK what else should I look for that would make that noise from the front of the engine? ( dear God it better not be another keyway )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts