Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening nice people

As shown in red outline in the picture, is there a gasket I would have to replace, if I removed the timing belt cover #3? And if there is a gasket back there, just wondering if it is the kind that I could just stick back in there. If it actually does exist, its probably not been seen like ever.

I want to remove that cover, to just do a quick inspection of the timing belt. I may also disconnect some things so the car wont start, and then hook up one of those remote start triggers to the starter, so I can advance the timing belt around and around its way. To inspect all of it.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,681 Posts
There's a rubber piece that runs along the back edge. You can see it in that photo or even just look at the car since its kind of a edge trim. No need to replace it when you pull the cover.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
yep just there as a dust seal, easy enough to replace with common rubber trim gasket material available from home improvement stores.

I would just use a long breaker bar or ratchet with a socket to advance the crankshaft pully along to inspect the timing belt, much safer, and easier to check the exact position of the timing marks to verify that the camshafts and crank are aligned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the engine was running silky smooth, so it must all be in alignment. Can you upload a picture of where I need to place the long breaker bar (or maybe I can see the location to put that breaker bar, in the picture I uploaded). So I can move along the timing belt, as you said, and carefully inspect that timing belt. I am hoping there is still the white lettering on it, good and clear, and someone replaced it and never used it much. That would be nice. But then again, who knows how old it is. Even if it looks new, not used much, there is still the issue of it being dried out, even if you cant tell easily.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
The cover #3 is made to be removed for inspection and put back in place without anything else than the 10mm ratchet.
If you remove the 6 sparkplugs, you can fairly easilly rotate the engine with a long ratchet on the 19mm crank pulley.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for clarifying that. :)

Btw, I got a new toyota OEM timing belt ordered. They say I will have it in a week or so. I figure with 115K on the motor, it will need a timing belt. Either way, having it on hand will be good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you remove the 6 sparkplugs, you can fairly easilly rotate the engine with a long ratchet on the 19mm crank pulley.
Yeah, I wanted to pull the spark plugs anyways, to see how the engine has been burning. Those plugs can tell you a lot of things. So I will be curious what they look like. Can I put something into the plug holes to loosen them up a little. It could have been 16 years since those plugs were out of there. According to the carfax I pulled, and what I know about previous owner. It was stored away in a nice garage. But I want to be 100% sure those plugs come out as easy as possible. Not sure what I can put in there to loosen them up. Like Kroil the oil that creeps. That stuff has helped me with other rusty stuff in the past...just not sure if its OK to put down into the plug hole. I would not use a lot or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
one thing to note, I usually don't have problems removing the spark plugs (provided some knucklehead didn't overtighten them), but the spark plug socket itself, depending on the brand/style, may be just slightly to big to fit comfortable down the spark plug hole, DO NOT FORCE the spark plug socket down the spark plug tube. I have a old craftsman 13/16" spark plug socket that I put on a impact gun and essentially turned down with some course sandpaper then polished up with some finer abrasives.

A little squirt of wd40 or PB blaster, really any penetrating oil of your choice, down around the base of the spark plug and let sit overnight if corrosion or rust is a problem. Don't forget to use some compressed air to first blow out any debris that may have made it down there...

MK2 TSRM On-Line (cygnusx1.net) (t-belt section)

Jocelyn is right on the money, removing the 6 spark plugs will make it a lot easier to rotate the crankshaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little squirt of wd40 or PB blaster, really any penetrating oil of your choice, down around the base of the spark plug and let sit overnight if corrosion or rust is a problem.
MK2 TSRM On-Line (cygnusx1.net) (t-belt section)
You did mean that it is not a problem? right :- ) it says "is a problem"

I have all kinds of different penetrating oils...I like Kroil. It really seems to work well. So I could blow out first with compressor before removing plugs. Then squirt the Kroil around the base of each plug, wait till tomorrow and then carefully remove each plug. I hope they all come out easily enough! I never had problems removing plugs before, and I dont want to start now. !!!! But I have heard horror stories on the internet.

Then I can remove the timing cover #3, get a large breaker bar and start turning it slowly to inspect the current timing belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts