Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought a timing belt off Ebay. The ad said for 82-83. I recieved it today and it is a square tooth. I know that 82-83 used one type and 84-86 used another. I just cant remember if the 82-83 is actually a square tooth design or if I have recieved an 84-86.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sounds like the hard way

I would just get another belt, you probably have recourse with the seller. Either through being nice, or through E-bay.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Contact the seller first, and ask him to make the situation right by either replacing it with the righ tbelt, or refunding your money...

If you can;t come to an agreement, contact Ebay and let them know you were sold a mis-labeled item and that the seller would not compromise on a deal. Make sure you save EVERY email because Ebay will want to see them...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes you can swap out the sprockets and use the newer model belt. I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you already have access to the newer style sprockets (they could get expensive). Many told me that the newer style belt is more reliable, don't know if that is actually true or not but I did do this swap and had no issues at all. Of course 3 months later, I let Don Culbertson and Shawn Pease give birth to another 7mgte transplant :D

Leslie

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can get the cam gears at the wreckers. Dont I have to change the crank pulley also? I wont be installing till I finish rebuilding my spare head. I will just install newer ones then.

·
Registered
991 Posts
dohc82 said:
I can get the cam gears at the wreckers. Dont I have to change the crank pulley also? I wont be installing till I finish rebuilding my spare head. I will just install newer ones then.
You'll need the camshaft timing sprockets, oil pump drive sprocket, and the crankshaft timing sprocket. It is always a good idea to also replace the idler pully (tensioner) at the same time just to be safe. You don't need the crank pully as it runs the alternator, A/C belts etc but yes you will need the crank sprocket. Just replace everything inside the timing belt covers and you'll be set.

Leslie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Weird, my 82 has the round teeth and my 83 has the square. guess someone messed with mine previously.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts