Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having a bit of difficulty installing the timing belt on an 84 p-type. The exhaust cam seems to be retarded half a tooth, while the intake cam seems to be advanced half a tooth. I was looking at the online TSRM, but cant seem to figure out the "overlap holes" which would allow adjustment in increments of 3 degrees. Does anyone have their own personal write-up?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
591 Posts
okay i ran into this on my 5m and i realize now how the previous owner's mechanic set my timing retarded 1 notch(severely hit performance)

okay, set the cams and crank where they go, (alighn the notches W/OUT the E mark on them with the little circle under them)

2. the belt will fit the cams correctly but there can't be ANY slack in the belt like wrap it around the exhaust cam and hold it there and then pull the belt tightly around the intake cam. it will fit no matter how much you think it wont if it's the right belt.

then run the belt around the oil pump holding the exhaust cambelt in place so it won't slip because you need to pull it tight all thru this process.

when you run the belt around the crank it should fit perfectly w/ little to no slack on the oil pump side. then run it around the tentioner and put the spring back on it but don't bolt it in place. now attatch the lower timing belt cover and harmonic balancer bolting them both in if your sure you've done it right but just in case just bolt the timing cover in place. turn the engine over by hand CLOCKWISE! (i can't stress clockwise enough you turn it the other way and youll make the crank gear jump a few notches. and you'll have to do it again) turn the engine til the cam gears lighn up with their notches again and check the timing at the cams and crank. if it's good tighten the tentioner bolt down (turning the engine by hand with it having a loose tentioner bolt tentions the belt plenty).

then put everything back together. i'd check the ignition timing if it was adusted durring the time the old belt was in there tho.

hope this helps.
Kyle

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've never had a problem with the spark plug sockets fitting down those holes....maybe you should buy a new socket for your supra.....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I went out and bought a proper Spark plug socket and the stupid thing still didn't fit! To the bench grinder it went... :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
Mr. Bigwrench

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Sears craftsman sparkplug sockets are pretty thin wall, I've found Thorsen to be ok too. Most other shelf brands don't easily fit. I also like the Craftsman 6" extension that locks the socket on. Very nice if you have ever pulled out your rachet extension and the socket was left still on the spark plug. I used to use needle nose pliers all the time to yank the socket off till I discovered that locking 3/8" extension.

Don L.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not all 5m's seem to have the same diameter spark plug holes. I have two spark plug sockets I can use. They both fit fine on my '86 mk2, but only one of them will fit in my '83. Strange but true.

- Mike

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looks like Toyota has always made plug holes like this, my dad still has the special wrench that came with his '73 Corolla. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts