Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a disagreement with an ebay seller. I purchased a timing belt listed from an 82-83(round tooth) I recieved an 84-85(square tooth) :evil: He says that the part number on the belt is right (in other words it is an 82-83) I need the part number so I can see if he is right. Part number stamped on belt is; 074. Is this correct?
Thanks
-Wil

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
Ummmm I think you have it wrong, 82-83 are the "square" tooth (actually trapezoidal) belts and 84+ is the round tooth belts. At least all the 84 and 85 Mk2 I've owned have had the round teeth. Besides what brand is the belt? Every body has different #s.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Yeah, 82-83 belts are square tooth, 84 and up are round tooth. I just checked my car to be sure.
The part # on my Toyota belt is: 13568-43021
to the right of that is 142ZA2S.

HTH

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doh ok I guess I should apologize to the seller :oops: At least I was polite. The belt is made in germany and the numbers are:
TB 074 110 E 210301. Anyway...yes they are trapezoidal.
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies :turn-l:

·
Registered
7 Posts
square timing sprockets VS. round timing sprockets

so i need to know because i have both sets
and my belt died yesterday
which one is better square or round sprockets ?
also i noticed the holes in the sprockets
i think those are used to speed up or retard the cam's? right?
if so whats the best set up? the round edged one has 3 while the square edged one has 5
my supra is an 84 so im just wandering which one is the best

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Neither is "better," you use want the car was made for (round tooth for 84). Square fits square, round fits round. Just different years.

On the holes in the sprockets, use the middle one, unless you want to destroy your engine (or if you get adjustable cam sprockets). The other two positions are N/A for our engine.

If you are replacing your timing belt because it "died" you should also replace the timing belt tensioner ($30-50). And why did it die? Are your cam oil seals leaking (behind the sprockets)? Replace them too. If there is any oil inside the timing belt case look for the source.

And what do you mean by the timing belt died? Not enough information. Teeth missing, turned into spaghetti, split......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts