Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just hasn't been running quite right, and I think I may have pinpointed the issue. The engine sat unused for 10 years, and now that its been fired up again, I fear the timing belt may have stretched. I'm not positive, as I don't have the car here to check, but it would explain a lot of the symptoms I've been seeing.

Now I've got a Chilton's manual and I know plenty about working on junk, but would any of you care to give me a quick rundown of what I can expect to have to do to replace the belt? Remove radiator and accessories? What else? Any pointers? How many new combinations of explitives am I going to come up with while doing this? Thanks all, especially to Malloy for this new Supra forum :) .

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If it's like the MkII you'll just have to pull some pulleys and timing belt covers... it's not that bad.

I'm not sure why you think it's a stretched timing belt -- certainly it's good to replace a belt that's been sitting for 10 years, but... what are your symptoms?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idles like its missing, barfs fire out of the exhaust (a lot), cant make up its mind on how it wants to run, runs massively rich. I'm not positive this is the problem, just preparing myself for it if it is. I hope its not :)

Honestly, I think the problem is ignition related, though. I have new plug wires (mine are shot), I'm going to time it and close up the exhaust, and if that doesn't get it running decently, then the timing belt is my next item to check.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Glad you're going to set the timing first... let us know what the word is after that.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Replacing the belt isn't too bad, if you do make sure the tensioner is ok, i went to change mine and half the ball bearings were missing i dont' see how the thing was still spinning. And if its been sitting for 10 years it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the dist. cap, dist. rotor, plugs, and plug wires. But back to the timing belt, just have to remove the fan(and shroud) pulleys and belts and timing belt cover. If you have air in your garage and half an impact you can remove the radiator and it makes it easier to get the crank bolt off. or just use a chain wrench if you don't want all the work...hope that helps!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plugs, cap, rotor and soon to be wires are all new. so is the coil. the only ignition piece left to replace would the the ignition pickup unit, and I'd like to believe that its fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is it a MK1 with a 5M-GE? If so, replace the timing belt anyway, it's quite easy if you have some basic knowledge in mechanics. Just make sure you get that pully bolt torque right, you can really mess up the crank if its too low or high. If its the 4M motor, you have a timing chain - I have'nt had to change one on my 79 ever, so id really check that ignition first. If it is a chain, check that the tension is within specs. BTW, Chilton sucks, get a proper Toyota manual, they are available online. I use a Haynes for basic stuff, it seems to be OK.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an MKI with a 5M-GE, I swapped out the toasted original 5M-E for the 5M-GE, a nearly direct swap. I agree on the chain, my 22R has 250,000 miles on the original chain :D.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My only advice is, don't bother pulling the rad - Ive done a number of these belts and never needed to pull it. with the shroud and fan out of the way, theres plenty of room. Do make sure you get that torque right - my brother in law didnt bother with his Mazda, and the keyway broke, leaving the sprocket to slip around on the crank. After the third time he welded it and it broke, he scrapped the motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts