Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my timing belt (85 supra - 5m-ge) , and for some reason the new belt seems to be slipping forward and slowly chewing itself to nothingness. Could this mean the idler pulley bearing is shot, or are there other factors in why this is happining. Everything seems to look good, so any help would be appreciated. Thx... :mad:

·
Registered
290 Posts
It is a good idea to replace the idler pulley when you replace the timing belt, or so i've heard. My guess is the idler is worn at an angle since its really not possible for any of the timing gears, oil pump shaft, or crank shaft to be tilted any unless the gears aren't torqued down perfectly. I think an idler pulley is like $20-$30.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
How are your cam gears installed? THere is a lip on only one side of the gear. If you put one with the lip towards the motor and the other with the lip towards the front, it will help keep the belt inline.

Christian

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
The reason to replace the idler pulley, is basically because the pulley wheel itself is one great big giant sealed bearing. Think of a skateboard wheel bearing that is 5X big. Over time, the bearing inside can wear out, the grease itself can dry out from the heat, OR BETTER YET, if any of your front motor seals are leaking oil, all of the oil flying around WILL disolve all of the grease inside the bearing... Then eventually, the bearing will seize.... Not a good thing. :mad:

As other have mentioned, replace the idler pulley on EVERY timing belt change... It's a good safety/maintenance thing.... If not & the pulley fails, then you get to have premature failure on the timing belt. :shock: :oops:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Whoops,

Forgot to mention that the tension spring for the idler pulley is also a seperate item. This needs to be replaced as well, so that the idler pulley will keep tension on the timing belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts