Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing some nasty noises coming from the timeing belt area I took the cover off to inspect it. The belt is in fine shape but it was super loose. When I looked at it with the car running I could see the noise was caused by it flopping back and forth against the idler pulley spring hook! :shock: I removed the spring to check it to see if it was out of spec but it wasn't and then I tightened up the idler pulley to take up some slack. Started it again and it was still flopping so I thought I needed to go get another pulley and spring. Turned it off again and when checking now, everything is tight. :roll: WTF? Cleaned up the cover and reinstalled and it runs great now but should I be worried? Also, could the belt have skipped some teeth? Should I take it off and reinstall at know TDC? This happen to anyone else before? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Why wouldn't you check it??? It takes five miniuts to check the cam timming and ten to adjust it if it's off. The 5M-GE will run with a wide range of cam settings ( I know this from the first time I adjusted cam settings and screwed them up) If you need some info on doing it there is a section of the TSRM at:

http://yotarepair.com/5M-GEtimingbelt.html

The mistake I made was that I didn't see the timming marks on the crank and missed TDC. Rember 0 deg is TDC and if you need any more info just let me know.

By the way ... did you check that your lower crank pully didn't come loose and then shimmy back into place??? I've never had it happen but you should probabbly check it 'cause others seem to have had that problem and the results are a crank that is F.U.B.A.R. :mad:

·
Registered
191 Posts
82MKIILtype said:
Why wouldn't you check it??? It takes five miniuts to check the cam timming and ten to adjust it if it's off. The 5M-GE will run with a wide range of cam settings ( I know this from the first time I adjusted cam settings and screwed them up) If you need some info on doing it there is a section of the TSRM at:

http://yotarepair.com/5M-GEtimingbelt.html

The mistake I made was that I didn't see the timming marks on the crank and missed TDC. Rember 0 deg is TDC and if you need any more info just let me know.

By the way ... did you check that your lower crank pully didn't come loose and then shimmy back into place??? I've never had it happen but you should probabbly check it 'cause others seem to have had that problem and the results are a crank that is F.U.B.A.R. :mad:
I a victim but i got another car, i switchn motors...and car came with extra motor and crank is good.. so i will do the switch later on..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts