Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got the car back together. After about 1/2 an hour of messing with the timing, my dad and I got it to start. We can't seem to get the timing right; I'm sure it's just a matter of playing with it until it runs right.

The timing belt and cams are lined up perfectly, according to the steps in the manual and countless times of checking the timing marks on the crankshaft and cams themselves. I don't think the timing belt's skipped any teeth.

We put in the distributor according to the manual's steps, but it's obviously off. We've resorted to seeing how the car runs with it at full advance or retard at the current tooth, then removing the distributor, moving it by 1 tooth and trying again.

ANY other hints on how to get this right other than trial and error?

Thanks,
Ryan
84 MKII L-type (smokin' away as she burns in her new exhaust manifold gasket)

·
Registered
794 Posts
put a long screwdriver in the sparkplug hole of the #1 cylinder. Then rotate the crank to the TDC mark and past. Did the screwdriver stop moving up (or was it going down?) at the TDC mark? If so your crank pully has slipped. It has a layer of rubber (for damping I guess) between the inner hub and outer pully.

HTH
Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the crank pulley's slipped; at certain times when I can get the rpm's up around 3000 or so the engine runs fine, like before I pulled it apart (sans tapping and smoking).

I think I just need to get the friggin' distributor set right.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks anyway,
Ryan
84 MKII L-type

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hook up a timing light and hold that sucker up around idle to see what the timing is. You probably are off a tooth on the distributor and will find the timing won't come near stock setting with adjustment of dist. I never do get it in right on the first try. Pull the dist. out and watch the rotor as you put it back in to make sure you insert it one tooth over (check the timing to find out in what direction you need to skip a tooth).

CHristian

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, sounds like you're out a tooth on the distributer. If you've got it to start, it shouldn't take too much trial and error, you can't be out more than one or two teeth. Make sure your belt tension is correct, and that there isnt a problem with the tensioner pully. If none of this helps, and your crank pully isnt hooped, start looking for something else (intake, ignition maybe)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. I can't seem to find the right setting on my distributor either. I have rebuilt several engines and have never had the timing issues that I've had just putting a head gasket in this car. Can't wait for it to run for more than a minute.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It runs! I was off on the timing by one tooth. Took a guess, rotated the distributor one tooth clock-wise, and the car fired right up. Everything seems to be running fine. It seems like the car has some more power too -- chirped the tires in the driveway. :D

There is still some abmornal noise from the engine, but the valves themselves are quiet. I'm not sure if it's a lifter issue, or if I have some rings that are going south. No smoke noticed from the little bit that I had the car out in the driveway (and about 300 ft up and down our street). The car's unlicensed and uninspected so I can't legally take it out on the road... and with a state trooper living at the end of the street... :roll:

Tomorrow -- a wash, clay bar treatment and a coat of Mother's wax.

Ryan
84 MKII L-type (back to life)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dammit...

So today I change the oil, strip the old wax off, do a Mother's clay bar and wax job on the car. Shined up well for 19 year old paint.

My dad takes it for a spin around the "block" -- a loop about a mile and a half long. I notice some blue smoke, still, from the exhaust. Rings! :mad: However I think it'll run fine as it is, for a while.

Just one other minor problem (besides the power steering rack that is)

Antifreeze leak!!! I think it's where the intake chamber meets the intake manifold. A precursory check of the bolts in the area didn't show anything loose.

This car is REALLY starting to try my patience.

Ryan (ok I'm done ranting)
84 MKII L-type

1 - 8 of 8 Posts