Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '84 with some timing problems. It was lacking in low end power so I checked the timing and sure enough it was off. The problem is the most advance I can get is about 6 degrees BTC. The distributor is at the end of its adjustment at this point. Is this a worn distibutor? Or maybe a timing belt jump or something like that? I am just looking for some direction before taking things apart.
Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
timing

I would first take off the timing belt cover and line up the crankshaft on 10 btc and then check your camshaft position they should line up with the timing marks on the housing, if all is good there the pickup in the distributor could be bad.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a similar problem. Everything was on mark and i had bad timing either too advanced or too retarded. After about six months of trying a reposted my problem here and was told it was my Throdle Posicion Censor. Sure enoughf that was the problem. Thanks to allmotor85supra

" When u set ur timing check connector make sure the check engine light is blinking if it does NOT blink then the comper is still in open loop ie not at basic timing. the biggest reason for it not going into basic is the TPS sensor out of adjustment. if the TPS doesnt connect the idle contacts when the throttle is closed then the computer will not go in to basic timing mode and u will check all teh timing marks/ cam timing/ ect but all the while its the tps. if the check engine light does no blink loosen the tps and move it a hair clockwise. we run in to this problemn alot with the ol supra's and cressidas at my dealership. it drove me nuts tryng to time my motor and all along it was the TPS
hope it fixes ur problem"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts