Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, having an issue with timing here.. recently had everything apart to replace cam seals, front and rear mains, and other seals. Also did timing belt, tensioner and tensioner spring..

Put everything together and installed cps, which I forgot to mark. Got it to run, but runs real rough. Shut it off, point the crank to zero and cam marks straight up with notches on plate. Then reinstalled the cps (lined up the drill hole with the notch on housing of cps) but it just continues to run rough. Also when I install the cps, the rotor moves to the right abit. Can never get it to go on the way I lined it up.

Now I have my cams pointing straight up with the notch marks, crank at zero (tdc)
I look into the oil fill hole and I see the back of the cam lobe. I've read that this should be straight up? Car runs, but rough and no power. I know my timing is off cause it ran well before I took it all apart.
Any tips is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Sounds like you need to check the ignition timing with a light and clock the CPS to get it to line up correctly (10 degrees ATDC with E1 and TE1 jumpered I believe). If you can't get to 10 degrees, the CPS is off a tooth.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will give that a try as soon as I get a timing light. Haven't had time to touch the car since I made this thread.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Will give that a try as soon as I get a timing light. Haven't had time to touch the car since I made this thread.
Sounds you have at least one cam upside down! Make sure both cams line agains the 8mm hole, in the oil filler hole, (u can stick in an 8mm drill bit to lock it in place if u wish) and for the exhaust cam u need to take off the valve cover, and make sure the opening is aligned with the hole on the cam! Make sure the cam sprockets are locked in their middle hole, and the cranck is at TDC. Once u put the belt, take the distributor out, take its cap out, align the marks and stick it back in trying to aim for the middle of the adjustibg ear against the locking bolt hole. You could miss a tooth, so do it few times, just to make sure is right.
If starting is hard, or almost starting, then u probably missed a tooth, so recheck and insert correctlly.
Good luck, and use the TSRM instructions, I found out years ago, that if u follow it u always get the job done right! ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts