Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Link works fine, got any more recent pics? These all say 2010 on em and i can barely see the two tone goodness through all that dust :p

Sounds pretty good and the motor looks like it fits in there pretty well too.

I can take some newer ones tonight or tomorrow. I just posted the pics I have on my work computer from old emails i sent out.
The video has a vacuum leak that I've since fixed, runs really well for all that I've done to it w/o any computer tuning.
Still need to brace everything, lots of torque. :)

New pics added. Sorry, but I'm going to black from that two tone goodness. Too many scratches, rust spots to not touch it up and halt any rust. Only planning on driving in the summer so the Chicago salt wont' get at it anymore. I want to do a repaint to Azurite Black, but am just plain rattle canning to stop the rust and touch it up for now.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to correct inaccurate information. Not every V8 swap is front sump. Mine is a rear sump LT1.
Only thing I did to clear the pan was flip half of the power steering rack to run the hoses through the cross member and reroute the hoses. This gave me the clearance needed and tucked the engine in nicely over and around the crossmember. Had to pound in the fire wall here and there to fit the bell housing. Good-n-tight.
Fit up the T-56 and drove great last year.
Just curious if you have any photos of this and if there has been any issues with steering on this? I have been debating doing this instead of modifying my oil pan to fit the hoses.

The link was above to my photobucket.
http://s304.photobucket.com/user/gre...y/1985 Supra
I can add some more details pics later. Maybe this weekend so check back in a couple days.
You can see some of what I did in the pics. I do have some customer motor mounts, so fitment will depend on where your engine is placed. There is a smaller gap close to the rack, but the dents/scratches in my pics are from squeezing it in and out so many times when I was fitting it all up.

I'm running the LT1 power steering pump and the high pressure braided lines and steel fittings.
There was a steel fitting that was hard to find to make the rack power and return lines to a -AN line.
Borgeson Universal Company P/N 925121 - Steering Box Adapters 16MM X 1.5 to -6AN. You'll need 2 and I think they come in pairs.

When flipping the 1/2 rack, the lines go through the cross member. Just undo the 4 bolts and twist. Obviously i had to drill two holes for the lines and fluid will leak out. As long as you line up the holes, it's fine. I initially drove the car without any operation problems, however, the steel lines I flared to go straight through to the cross memeber leaks. I think I did the wrong flare, or didn't tighten it down well enough. Since it's now IN the rack, its hard to get at. I'll have to cut an access hole, tighten/redo it and then weld it back up.
Does anyone know the flare and threads in the rack for these 2 middle rack lines?
I haven't had time to fix it, so the power steering pump just runs in a loop for now and I capped the rack at the power and return lines.
Driving it like this isn't bad which is why I haven't fixed it yet.
Drives like a V8 F-body w/o the powersteering.

Yes I understand that the holes in the cross member are taking out strength. however, they are not that large and as long as you are drilling circle holes instead of cutting out square sections, it's not an issue.
I'll probably weld in some extra bracing on the cross-member and a strut tower brace can't hurt with the extra weight in the front.
If you want a specific pic, let me know.

I guess as long as full range of motion is still there with the rack, I don't need any pics. When I go to pull my motor I can flip the rack, drill the holes and make new lines along with my pressure side. This will be a lot cheaper than modifying my oil pan enough to get the stock lines to work.

Thanks!

Probably a noob question but have to ask, are the power steering lines the only reason so many people say a rear sump v8 can't be done in our cars? And if so does that mean my car with a de-powered rack that has no lines at all would fit a rear sump v8 with relatively little trouble? I was always under the impression that once the engine was far back enough to clear the rack and cross member the next hurdle was hitting the fire wall and trans tunnel width. Cheers.

I did pound in the firewall and actually ended up cutting it and welding in some sheet to close the tunnel back up. Don't go too far, or you'll loose too much space for the interior Heating and cooling and might move the gas pedal if you go to wide. Had to pound out a couple spots to fit the T56 in there. you could drop the tail of the transmission, but I wanted it tucked way up. For the T56 i also had to do a larger clutch master (wilwood 7/8") to get enough hydraulic power. And the brake booster was converted to a 7" dual diaphragm to get it away from the shorty header. Both required custom drilling in the firewall.
The gas lines need to run up the middle to stay away from the exhaust that is now running on both sides of the engine.
Ended up with braided lines and all those fun AN fittings and aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, etc.
I also welded custom motor mounts.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.